jack in oz

1/2" CCD camera

I've been offered a used Ikegami ICD-848 camera. It has a motorised IR cut filter and a 1/2" CCD.

Low light performance is 0.15 Lux Colour/ 0.015 Lux B/W with F1.4 lens.

I've said I'll take it only IF it includes a lens, as I believe 1/2" lenses can be expensive.

While waiting for the seller to get back to me, I tried to do a search on this forum for info on 1/2" CCD cameras. However, it is not possible to search for the term "1/2 CCD". The search function strips off the / and " and searches for "1 2 CCD" which is totally useless as it produces a gazillion hits.

So, can anyone offer any advice/wisdom/gotchas on 1/2'' CCD cameras?

Jack

Some of my favorites in terms of low light are 1/2". I've never tried an Ikegami though. Post some pics of you get it.

Lenses are not that big of a deal if you shop around and buy used. Look at C mount stuff also, tends to be less interest. You can also use 2/3, etc. Should not run you more than 10-20 if you are just looking for standard stuff. Longer >75mm can be a problem finding at a good price though.

You can use a 1/3" C/CS-mount lens on a 1/2" camera, you just run the risk of a little "tunnel vision" effect at shorter focal lengths.

Thanks for the replies. He's included a 1/2" 4.5-10mm lens with the camera. No idea what brand, or if it's IR. Will report back when I receive the goods.

Maybe not useful on the forum search, but when looking for lenses on ebay, it reduces the clutter if you search on "1/2" in quotes. It still ignores the /, so will also get you f/1.2 as a hit, but it does narrow it down quite a bit.

I routinely hunt for decent 1/2" lenses on ebay, and use that trick (as well as "2/3"), along with name brands of good lenses, like fujinon. 2/3" lenses have the benefit of better image quality, since you're more in the sweet spot of the lens, and further from the edges where quality tends to drop off.

Like mike_va says, these can be found pretty cheaply if you're patient, as much of the market volume is in 1/3" now. You can also get C/CS mount adapters reasonably priced as well.

I received this camera in the mail today. My first impression is that it has excellent low light capability. Certainly better than the Bosch LTC-0495 I have. With the camera outside on my deck at night I was able to get a very bright image of myself with the only illumination coming from inside the house through a window. I'll assess the daylight performance (in particular the BLC) tomorrow.

It has a f1.6 lens. Would a f1.0 make a lot of difference to the low light performance?

Mike,

thanks for the table. I'll file that away for future reference.

I think I was a little hasty when I said the camera is better in low light than the LTC-0495. Just now the 0495 was performing better in full moonlight. TBH I've never actually tested the 0495 at night with any sort of artificial light, so I need to set up a side by side comparison.