DAWO

Cabling for a VideoIQ iCVR HD camera?

Hi,

We are going to put up a VideoIQ iCVR HD camera outdoor in our garden, and if I have read the manual correctly, the preferred method for powering the camera is PoE, which means that a gel-filled, UTP Cat. 5e cable for outdoor use, will be enough(?) to run the camera.

If I want to connect a redundant power source, (e.g. the PoE switch should fail), the camera will automatically switch to this power source in case the first power source goes down.

For this I have the choice of either connecting the camera to 12VDC or 24VAC. As the camera "only" consumes a maximum of 10W, I guess I should be able to connect A SECOND twisted pair cable and use one of the pairs to feed the camera with 12VDC as back-up power. If so, I wonder if I then can use the OTHER pairs in this second cable to connect to the camera's alarm I/O-ports??? In the "VideoIQ TechNotes iCVR Alarm I/O" I read that they suggest that you can should use a wire between 18-22ga and connect this to the included 12 postion green connector block.

If the above is correct, I assume that the use of two gel-filled UTP twisted pair cables will give me all the wires I need in this case???

But is this "standard" procedure? Or is the alarm signals and secondary power separated in two different wires? And if so what kind of wires do you suggest?

A second Cat5 cable for the aux power and alarm I/O will be fine.

I'd recommend 24VAC though, and double up on a pair to minimize voltage drop over the run.

Thanks a lot NotoriousBRK! You seem to know a lot about VideoIQ-cameras! I guess that, as we are only going to use one pair to signal TO the camera from our central alarm unit when our home security system is armed, and then another pair of cables FROM the camera to tell our central alarm control system if someone has triggered an alarm event, that will leave us with TWO pairs that could be used for powering the camera? Is that correctly understood?

Could you explain why 24VAC is better than 12VDC?

As the main power source will be a PoE-switch in our house, we will, for back-up, attach the PoE-switch to an UPS unit in case of power failure. As this unit has several 230VAC outlets, could one of them be used in order to back-up the 24VAC tranformer as well so that we will have double redundancy?

Thanks!

Thanks a lot NotoriousBRK! You seem to know a lot about VideoIQ-cameras!

I hope so. I run Field Engineering for VideoIQ. Almost every technote, application note, or demo video you've seen or read is my handiwork.

I guess that, as we are only going to use one pair to signal TO the camera from our central alarm unit when our home security system is armed, and then another pair of cables FROM the camera to tell our central alarm control system if someone has triggered an alarm event, that will leave us with TWO pairs that could be used for powering the camera? Is that correctly understood?

Could you explain why 24VAC is better than 12VDC?

As the main power source will be a PoE-switch in our house, we will, for back-up, attach the PoE-switch to an UPS unit in case of power failure. As this unit has several 230VAC outlets, could one of them be used in order to back-up the 24VAC tranformer as well so that we will have double redundancy?

Thanks!

24VAC will be a little less prone to voltage drop than 12VDC.