alphag_25

Radio Shack 49-2502a

Hi,

I have been givien a Radio Shack 49-2502a camera by a friend and wish to connect it to my computer for use at my front door.

The socket on the camera is a 4-pin. I have a 4-pin svhs lead. On the back of my computer I have a 5-pin socket which I believe is a round SCART connection ?

I also have usb, serial, parallel etc connections.

I also have a couple of 4-pin svhs plugs and a length of data cable to make up a new lead if necessary. I am experienced at soldering. Can I make a lead to go from the camera to the SCART connection on my pc or do I need a interface box or something?

Thanks, for you help

Geoff

ok alphag here is what you have to do. Now you have to do exactly what I tell you. Dont stray away. Ok first you take the camera in one hand. Then take the cable going from the camera in the other hand. Take the camera and place it on a table carefully in front of you. Now with your hands that you have just have made available, you are going to go out to your garage and grab your sledgehammer. Then pretend that camera is your mother in law or if you dont have one then my mother in law.

Ok now seriously. Radioshacks cameras is loosly defining the word camera or image for that matter. But any way what you should have gotten with that camera is a 6 pin din converter. I believe if my memory serves me correctly (worked at radioshack 4 years ago when I was in college).

It goes camera--->6pin din--->adapter ----->video(rca), audio(rca), power

I could be wrong on the cable layout. ( i have tried to forget everything I was told at radioshack)

Now on getting it on your computer. You will need a video capture card. Or you can get a rca to vga adapter. Now that will just utilize your monitor not your actual pc. If i confused you more just tell me. But a word of advice. Get a good day night camera. Those radioshack cameras are piece of

I am sure someone here knows where to get some cameras.

Thanks jisaacmagee for your reply. I have a tv capture card with a round scart connection and a tv antennae input connection. So I gather that I cannot connect the camera straight to the computer scart input with a 4-pin s-vhs cable ?

What is the adapter used for ?

I have the camera with a short lead that is connected to the camera base which plugs into the camera. On the base of the camera there is a 4-pin socket (Looks like a S-VHS socket). I have since got hold of a lead that has a plug with 4-pins on one end which can plug into the camera and on the other end there is a larger plug with 5-pins (Looks like an old keyboard plug). Does this "adapter" have a socket connection to suit this or can I get a fitting to conver from lead into the tv card SCART connection ?

Still have not used the hammer yet

Thanks,

Geoff