magnus

defender camera any good? $100 off set of 4

Sams has 4 defender 600tvl cameras(w/ wire, hardware and ac adapter) for $150 and i was wondering if they are any good for home setup. i currently dont have the dvr which i plan to buy separately. im just looking at resolution as the moment and they seem to work for my application when everything is cosidered (ir,housing,size etc)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod6490168&navAction=push

Which continues to my next question; I have read about some recommendation about evesurv esdv proline dvr-8. it has d1 resolution at 7fps max total of 60. On the defender it says it records d1 60 fps as well. If your just looking as resolution recording aren't both dvr's the same? (ptz,storage size,hdmi output, alarm recording are not features im looking for)

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=351&&css=1&&id=37

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod6490166&iid=CRSJ1778

If you're looking at JUST recording resolution, then sure, they're the same spec. Doesn't mean they're anywhere near the same unit. There are some WIDE WIDE variations out there in things like interface, configuration, remote operation, etc. Things that might not seem important until you're pulling your hair out trying to configure them or make them work properly. How easy is it to search recorded video? To search events? To export video? I can't speak for the Sam's DVR *specifically* but I know on the Dahua (Dahua-made) DVRs, it's all very well managed... and this is coming from someone who much prefers PC-based systems.

Hmm, I see Sam's can't even get their own listing straight... in the header of that listing, it says: "*$449.00 after $200 Instant Savings* Defender Connected 8CH Smart Security DVR with 8 Advanced Resolution Outdoor Cameras"

Yet further down under System Specifications, it says: "Number of Cameras: 4 Cameras with 600 TVL".

Under the specs listing for the Cameras themselves, it lists:

Camera Model and Type: CMOS Hi Res Advanced Outdoor Security Camera

Number of Cameras: 4

Further down still, under Package Contents, we have:

- 8 Advanced Outdoor Security Cameras

- 4 65ft Extension Cables

- Power Adapter

- Four-to-One Power Splitter

So, is it eight cameras, or four? And if it's eight, why include cabling for only four?

Hmm, what else? "The included 500 GB hard drive allows continuous monitoring and recording of over two years’ worth of footage!" - this is utter BS. The only way you'll get even close to that is with ONE camera, recording at the absolute lowest quality. Yay for marketing though, they kinda leave little tidbits like that out.

I get a kick out of the other camera listing, too: they go on about the super-powerful IR "up to 100'!", then immediately follow that with "weather resistant and ensure optimal picture quality no matter what Mother Nature decides to throw at you, be it rain, hail or snow." Uh... yeah, optimal picture quality of the IR reflecting back off the snow and making big white blobs.

Do yourself a favor: run screaming from the Sam's Club stuff. They don't even seem to know what they're selling, so how can you know what you're getting???