Sign in to follow this  
SpyGuy10

Need help troubleshooting Panasonic DVR display problems

Working on an older Panasonic CCTV system with a mix of cameras: Panasonic box camera (with power zoom) on a PT mount, Panasonic PTZ domes, a stationary bullet cam (unknown make/model), and a DoorKing pinhole cam in a gate entry controller. The Panasonic box camera on the PT mount recently failed. Yesterday, I replaced that box camera with a new CNB IGC2050F; this is a hybrid megapixel cam with both analog & IP outputs. [The plan is to use the analog output with the existing Panasonic system for now, and later upgrade to an IP system.] The new cam has a varifocal lens, but no powered zoom (which was an unused feature on the older Panasonic camera).

The Panasonic system was designed to operate on 24VAC, while the new CNB cam operates on 12VDC. So I disconnected the 3 wires for the power zoom from the Panasonic PTZ controller, and used two of those wires to bring 12VDC out to the cam location. The new camera powered up fine and I got video on my hand-held LCD monitor, both at the cam and also at the end of the coax run where the DVR/Controller is located. However, there was no video being displayed on the Panasonic system monitor.

The way the Panasonic system is set-up, there is a WJ-MP204C Data Multiplexer between the main system DVR/Controller and the box camera's PTZ controller. The multiplexer injects the PTZ control signals into the video coax cable to the PTZ controller. The PTZ controller extracts the PTZ control signals and then sends power on discrete wiring to the pan and tilt motors at the camera mount (the zoom controls no longer being used).

In an attempt to get the system to work, I powered everything off and then back on again. What I found was, when I powered off the WJ-MP204C Data Multiplexer and then powered it back on, the Panasonic system monitor would briefly (about 1 second) display the video from the new CNB camera, but then go black. This was repeatable every time I powered off/on only the multiplexer. So the Panasonic system is "seeing" the video signal from the new camera, but it is not displaying it continuously.

I am at a loss to explain this strange behavior. The camera is outputting basic analog NTSC video with a 1V peak-to-peak signal, so I don't see how the camera could be a factor. But it's the only thing that has recently changed in the system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.