Sign in to follow this  
Offgridmaniac

Wireless outdoor ethernet bridge 900MHZ set up slow

Hello guys,

I have an internet set up like my cctv system. It woks but seems to be slow.

I have 2 x AW900Xtr Avalan radios and 11DB Yagi antenna. The distance is 1/2 mile. I have the access point radio plugged into an ADSL router supplied by local company. I am then sending the signal with clear line of site but a little interference in the fresnel zone. Not much just a trees highest branches.

The admin panel of the ADSL router tells me (and so do their customer support)that I am download speed 5Mb and upload of 1Mb.

I have done a test there with ethernet and I am getting download 3Mb and 1Mb upload.

My www.speedtest.net test results at the remote location is 0.6Mb download and 0.6Mb upload. Ping tested OK (80ms) and not much jitter and no real packet loss.

What can I do to help boost my signal?

Thanks for any help.

FYI ... I am living off grid with a solar set up and no chance of hard cable.

The Avalan radios are your bottleneck: their Ethernet throughput is limited to 935 Kbps. If you need true NLOS you could look at the Ubiquiti Loco M900 series radios, I've gotten 15+ Mbps through them.

If it's just a small amount of tree tops in the Fresnel, though, I'd try a set of the Ubiquiti Nanobridges or Nanostations in the 2.4 GHz band, lots less interference issues (900 MHz only has four channels available, even at 5 MHz channels). I've gotten 2+ miles with them through a thin line of trees.

Have you tried 2.4 instead of 900Mhz? I did a mile with 2.4 with a Linksys WET11 connected to a $40 high gain yagi years ago, it was in my attic pointed to a tower.