Razer_SE

Veracity IP over Coax broke quickly - any other solutions?

Quick question - I have a run at one location that is much too long for CAT5 so I looked and chose the Veracity Highwire Powerstar to use the existing coax when I upgraded to a new camera. That was about 35 days ago and the Powerstar units have gone bad already, I'd say they lasted three to four weeks before dying. I get no power lights at all on the base or the remote.

While I'm trying to get them to respond so I can get them replaced, are there other options that might work better and or be cheaper? I found that I had to use power anyway as the powerstar could not deliver enough power, so the camera is not using POE (camera is ACTi 5211E) it is just wired directly using the Siamese wire already there. So if POE is not an issue, what other options should I be looking at? Run is about 600 feet long.

I'm hoping the short life of this set was a fluke, but as it was my first go around with Veracity I'm not feeling so good about them now. Hoping for a fluke though!

There's the standard Veracity HIGHWIREs, just straight ethernet-over-coax. Both ends need to be powered, but they support 12VDC/24VAC so you can just parallel the remote end off the camera power.

There are competitors:

1. Altronix eBridge (ip-over-coax) http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=eBridge1CRT

2. Vigitron MaxiiCopper (ip-over-coax/UTP) http://www.vigitron.com/ID/12/Vigitron_IP_Video_Transmission_Solutions.aspx

3. NetSys http://www.netsys-direct.com/products.php?cat=27

4. Nitek VRxxx series (ip-over-coax/UTP) http://www.nitek.net/products/extenders.htm

...and a number of others.

Thank you both, I appreciate the links a lot. I;ll take a look and see if there is something else I should try.

I thought I'd picked pretty well with the HighWire units and they worked great, were easy to install and such, until they just flat stopped. Kind of a big deal lol. Now I have had no success in getting a reply from them either, so that's not promising either.

Yeah, we've got a few dozen HIGHWIREs installed over the last couple years, don't recall a single one of them ever failing or not simply working like they're supposed to.

Thanks for the additional information and links, I may bee looking for another solution if the replacement breaks as quickly as the first.

Also as an update I am still awaiting my replacement devices, it took about forever to get an RMA number, I shipped 5 days ago about 2 minutes after getting the RMA and I'm still waiting. The camera will be down a full month before all this is over with at this rate. Unacceptable customer service so far from Veracity, that alone will make me look elsewhere next time.

I had to fill out a two page questionnaire and email it in and then they looked over it for two days before giving me an RMA. Good times lol!

Call and ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Explain the fact you were waiting so long for an RMA ticket and are still waiting on the replacement... let us know how they respond.

I had to fill out a two page questionnaire and email it in and then they looked over it for two days before giving me an RMA. Good times lol!

Wow, great timing as I finally heard from them just now. Both base and camera unit tested bad like I knew they would, but strange that both quit.

The best part? They are out, and backordered. Estimated wait time is two weeks! That is amazing.

They must have saw this post...

They should offer you a nice apology for the inconvenience.

Wow, great timing as I finally heard from them just now.