sodbrother

Large Install questions

I have learned so much by browsing this forum and I hope you guys can help with a few questions. I have installed a few home and small business systems for myself and friends. I am trying to help a friend at his storage and might have got in over my head a little. This place is huge and I am not sure how to run all my wires.

Planning out a 16 camera system. All cameras to be mounted on 2 buildings. Buildings are 70 feet apart. My options are wireless (havent seen any good reviews on wireless setups) or running the wires overhead via a tightwire. Building two is fully open on the east and west sides, used for RV and Boat storage. There is power all over building 2 and also a concrete wall in the middle. I have thought about mounting the DVR in a lockable weatherproof electrical box in building 2 and then mounting all cameras on building two. I am not sure how much heat a 16ch DVR would build without much ventilation. Has anyone here installed a DVR outside in a secure box? Any ideas or suggestions?

The Star in the picture is the weak spot of the property and thieves favorite entry point. I would like a camera at 16 but not sure how to get it there.

System: 16CH DVR, 700TVL Analog Cameras (12V), Couple box cameras, Cat5e with Baluns, 3-2TB HardDrives.

I plan on using Cat5e with Baluns, runs will be 100 to 400 feet in length. Can I run the power over Cat5e that distance?

191405_1.jpg

I plan on using Cat5e with Baluns, runs will be 100 to 400 feet in length. Can I run the power over Cat5e that distance?

You can, depending on the cameras' current requirements and the voltage used. If you use all three pairs, and the cameras aren't loaded up with IRs or heaters (ie. under 500mA draw), you should be fine at 12V... 24V cameras would be better, though.

You won't find much good in analog wireless without spending big bucks... what you could do, though, is use IP wireless, such as Ubiquiti, to link the buildings... put one DVR in building 2 and access it via network link to building 1... or use an NVR and all IP cameras, including for #16, so you can link that one in via wireless... or a hybrid recorder, so you can use IP for just #16.

Matt thanks for the reply, If I go IP I will have to mount a Switch and wireless router/access point in building 2 to connect the cameras then pickup the signal in building one and feed that into the NVR?

I'd probably go all-IP, if it was me, with the camera in building 4 connecting directly to an access point on the peak of building 4's roof... on building 2 you'd have two APs, back to back, one aimed at building 4's AP, the other at building 1... then a receiver on building 1.

Inside building 2 I'd have a PoE switch to connect and power all the cameras, and plug the two APs into that. Then back at building 1, there'd be another PoE switch to connect those cameras, the AP, and the NVR.

Hey SOUNDY! I have a question for you... since you answer the majority of the posts on this forum.. (Thanks) I have all my cameras mounted on this job. Went analog instead of IP since I had already bid the job and ordered the equipment. Cat5 and Baluns, each camera has its own line, no shared lines. Most runs are 300-400 feet long. I have checked my voltage and it checks fine, I am getting lines and or dark cloudy spots on some cameras, however if I hook a single line into my handheld Tester it looks perfect, hook it back into the DVR and poor image quality...

I am using simple 12v DC power supplies. Not a large wall mounted PS.

So Ground Loop problem?

At that length, I'd be more suspicious of excessive voltage drop (although your local-monitor test would seem to negate that). Are you using two pairs for the power, or three? Can you try measuring the power voltage AT the camera, when the camera is running?

What are the affected cameras mounted to?

I am running 3 pairs for power, one video. Blue- blue/white video. Orange pair plus solid brown power+, grn pair plus brown/white for neg. I checked power at supply is 12.4, power at camera is 12.14.

Power was my first suspicion, but I am getting clear pick from DVR location using the battery powered hand held tv. Using same power, checking in DVR closet.

I will check voltage at camera with camera plugged in tomorrow and see what it reads.

Sorry didn't answer that last question. All structures are metal buildings. I mount 4x4x2 weather tight plastic boxes to building then mount camera to box, box contains connections.