PaulsonLaw

Help! Trying to send DVR Video out over UTP 600'!?!? Balun?

Here's the set-up....

We have 2 CCTV DVR's, 600 feet apart.... With a connection right in the middle...

W/out redigging, I have 2 pairs open, 300' UTP, 300' STP....

So, we want to sync the DVR's by putting the video out of each to an open channel on each...

Also, want both to feed monitors at the midway point...

I have only 2 pairs open on these lines to connect....

Here's what I have, it's crap, but kinda works....

-In Order-

DVR1 BNC Video out - BNC to RCA - 6' RCA cord - RCA to BNC - BNC coupler - BNC to cat5 balun - 300' UTP - cat5 to BNC - >BNC coupler< MIDPOINT - BCN to cat5 balun - 300' SUTP - Cat5 to BNC balun - to BNC channel 13 on DVR2

The line coming back has the exact same set-up as well...

*Both DVR's pick each other up, but both say video loss and the picture is that of some 1950's horror flick that was repaired after a truck ran over the film reel....

* Disconnecting at the midpoint to plug into tv inputs show nothing at all....

SO, anyone want to tackle this???

*The baluns are the black/green ones that are not passive or active off amazon, but there cheap

Thanks in advance, if I get this right, it will be a system to be quite proud of

Edited by Guest

*Both DVR's pick each other up, but both say video loss and the picture is that of some 1950's horror flick that was repaired after a truck ran over the film reel....

SO, anyone want to tackle this???

*The baluns are the black/green ones that are not passive or active off amazon, but there cheap

If you're talking about these:

191060_1.gif

...this is your problem: those aren't baluns. They aren't forming a balanced line, they aren't impedance-matching.

I'd skip the balun-barrel-balun at the midpoint and simply splice the pairs together, then put a PROPER balun at each end of each pair. This will work best if it's the same color pair all the way through, so the twists match, but it should still work fine if they don't.

Lol,

Yes those are the baluns. I know they're cheap as hell, but they've worked out on the cameras so far...

Would you recommend some baluns? Passive or Active? I want the best here.... for the money

As for the midpoint, that is our structure, I would love to put a 'T" on so I can watch both side on 2 monitors...

If proper baluns do work out w/ just a splice at the midpoint, & I decided to add the T, would I need matching baluns on both sides of the Ts?

Passive should be fine at that distance, maybe just stick to name-brand. Wouldn't hurt to use an active balun at each DVR output, especially if you're going to break out the signal in the middle, but it shouldn't be necessary.

And in that case, then yes, you'd want to use a balun on each run a the midpoint and use a T-connector instead of regular coupler. Keep in mind though, that if you're coming off the DVR's main output, the other DVR is going to see and record *everything* you do on that DVR - changing views, searching, playing back footage, etc. Your midpoint monitor will show the same.

Oh yeah, and you'll get an interesting "feedback loop" if the "cross-channel" is displayed on both ends...

Tnks!

So,

I would run this...

DVR2 Video Out - bcn cable 1' - active balun - SUTP 300' - passive balun - BNC "T" - passive balun - UTP 300' - passive balun - bnc cable 6' - channel in on DVR2

So one line would have 1 active and 3 passives?

Thanks, what's a good name brand for baluns?

Do the passive & active all have to be of same brand?

Thanks again!

Crap, also the DVR's are on different meters / buckets and transformers at the sub station..... So not sure if I have to toss in a ground loop .... thing....?

DVR2 Video Out - bcn cable 1' - active balun - SUTP 300' - passive balun - BNC "T" - passive balun - UTP 300' - passive balun - bnc cable 6' - channel in on DVR2

Baluns tend to have male BNC connectors and would connect directly to your DVR, no 1' or 6' coax cable needed.

Thanks, what's a good name brand for baluns?

Do the passive & active all have to be of same brand

No. GEM, GVI, NVT, MuxLab are all good names.

Crap, also the DVR's are on different meters / buckets and transformers at the sub station..... So not sure if I have to toss in a ground loop .... thing....?

Probably not. I'd say don't worry about it unless you see a problem. As it is...

Both DVR's pick each other up, but both say video loss and the picture is that of some 1950's horror flick that was repaired after a truck ran over the film reel....

99% chance this is caused by using the non-balun connectors.

So, in the end, here's what got it!

Passive baluns on both ends but no active needed, just a good ground loop isolator!

It all works!

Joy!