ataone

IP Rated Enclosures for Outdoor Use

Does anyone have experience using IP65 rated enclosures outside? Have you had any problems with water/rust?

I have lots of installed cameras around marinas & waterfront properties & corrossion is a constant problem. Some are on a half yearly maintenance contract & regularly get cleaned as well as the mounting / adjusting hardware lubricated with marine grade grease. There is nothing worse than ( come replacement time) you cant even undo the mounting bolts. Even the Chinese stainless steel pits & stains from the salt.

Of course, if you're not sea-side, you should have no problems. I have dozens of CNB VCM-24VFs (IP65) mounted outside in direct weather, most of those direct mounted to exposed walls - no leakage issues as long as you use the included gaskets for the mounting screws. I like to put a little petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline) on the O-rings and gaskets to help make a long-lasting seal and prevent the rubber from deteriorating.

Any IP65 housing should withstand normal weather conditions. The standard for IP65 allows for "limited ingress", a great phrase that can be exploited I guess.

Don't confuse a camera housing's rust potential with IP ratings. A steel housing can be IP65 or higher but will rust in no time in a coastal application. If you want something for the coast you should look at stainless steel and maybe to an IP66 standard.

If you want to take a look at our range we have all kinds of shapes and sizes...

http://www.conway-cctv.com