I'm curious what you guys think of the AVtech cameras. In particular their ETS series with PoE. It's a real shame the push series doesn't have PoE.

Not having PoE on a cam is a deal breaking IMHO. I don't understand why all IP cameras don't have standards PoE.

Of particular interest to me is the AVM357A.

Anyone have experience with this product?

Anybody know where I can source in Canada and who the distro is?

I've been trying to figure out how to bring PoE to low cost cameras. There are 5V and 12V splitters that take a PoE and split out before entering the camera, so the ouput is a 5V or 12V power connector to the camera and plain ethernet. Here's one site that sells them, look at the last two on the page. I know Vivotek makes them specifically for their non-PoE cameras. Not perfect, but certainly better than finding an A/C outlet near where you want to put the camera. I was going to try one on an AVtech push video camera but was trying to figure out the connector spec so I can get one that just plugs in without me breaking out the soldering iron.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/networking/power-over-ethernet.php

As for a dealer, I've been asking AVTech for a while and they appear a bit disorganized in this area. The least expensive place I found them at is http://www.123securityproducts.com/ but I never bought from them so I can't make a personal recomendation. They don't seem to have the specific model, but the comperable non-PoE push video series one they do have is the AVN807a. I would imagine a quick call to them can determine if they can get the model you want.

I do like the image quality and low light capability on the AVTech camera push video series but have not tried their outdoor cameras. If they are the same quality, I would expect the AVM357A or AVN807A to be a good bargain.

Also, have no idea why more camera companies don't include PoE as an option on all their cameras. But what's interesting is we are starting to see some great prices on commercial grade 1080P PoE cameras in the $200 price range.

I've been using the TP-Link TL-POE10R POE Splitter to power an older Vivotek dome from a POE switch, and it's been working well. It lets you select 5, 9, or 12V output, and has a standard camera barrel socket. Mine draws about 1W with nothing connected, and with the cam connected runs about 10W with IR on, IIRC.

It's pretty small, but not super compact. Mine fit in a junction box that I had the cam mounted to with no problem.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is there a power wire that goes from the splitter to the camera? Does it come with a few power plug sizes to fit varios cams?

It comes with a 2.1x5.5mm output jack, and a short F-F power cable (maybe a foot? I'd have to check when I get home). This is what all my cams and IR illuminators use, and I'm thinking I'll try it out for driving one of my IR units from POE. You'd have to make a cable or adapter for other plug sizes.

Here's a pic from a vendor - they modify their cables for Foscam, but this is what the setup looks like:

191836_1.jpg

Sorry for the thread highjack... is it safe to assume that the plug size on the TP-LINK splitter is the same size as the AVTech AVN80X uses?

I also found another unit, though a lot more expensive, called the Planet PoE-151S (100mbit) and PoE-152S (GigE). I'm curious if anyone has used those units from Planet.com.tw

I also can't source the PoE switched I've used in the past from Edgecore SMCGS10P-Smart so I'm looking at the Netgear GS110TP-100NAS and am also curious if anyone has used this unit.

Thanks for all of the help and input guys!

Current BoM is the following if anyone wants to comment.

2 AVN80X indoor

2 AVN807 outdoor

1 AVH306 NVR with 2TB WD2002FAEX

2 LC-151 outdoor sensors

2 FSA-410AST smoke detectors

It's going to cost about $2000 bucks total for a 4 cam, 2 outdoor PIR, 2 indoor PIR and smoke alarm.

He will be running EagleEyes on a Blackberry but will be migrating to iOS.

After much research I believe this is the most robust system I can come up with at this price point for home use.

Opinions?

Could you also go the route of using the Air802 POEPASS-02 and use the AVN80X power supply at the router/switch end of the run to carry power to the camera end and not need a fancier POE injector/splitter setup? If using this with the AVN80X power supply, what kind of distance could I manage before I have too much loss to run the camera?

http://www.air802.com/passive-power-over-ethernet-poe-injector-splitter-mid-span-kit-5.5mm-x-2.5mm.html

Thanks!

Since the AVN80x is only a 5volt camera, you are limited to around 30-40 feet. If the camera will be farther than that, i would recommend testing the voltage drop and getting a power supply that will compensate for the drop. Also remember that the avn80x is a 2.5mm plug-in. So when you find a power supply, you may have to buy and adapter from 2.1 to 2.5.