cadkins

Remote login stopped working

Hello, first post here. I have an Avtech 4 channel H.264 dvr. It has worked pretty good up till a few days ago. I use Firefox on my Ubuntu system to access it remotely and the Video Veiwer app in Windows XP. I am out of town. It started acting funny the other day using Firefox, I was trying to watch the backups and it wouldn'y load the backup list. I chalked it up to maybe the hdd needing cleaned and left to go to the store. I came back later and tried to login with Firefox again and it will not show the verification code. I tried to login with the Viewer app in windows and get a connection error. My girlfriend at home, the physical location of the system, cannot login with firefox either. The captcha will not show on the local network either. Any ideas as to why this is? It was working fine before. Is it possible for the dvr to get a virus? I was thinking of having my better half do a factory reset on it. Thanks in advance fr any help

It sounds to me like something is failing.

Has anyone restarted the machine since this happened?

It could be a lot of things, failing NIC, failing HDD, full HDD, motherboard going out.

It's really hard to say given the information you've offered.

I had her clean the hdd and she said it restarted when it was done, which is normal after cleaning. I wish I had more info myself, but I am out of town. The system is barely a year old, so I hope something isn't failing. I read some of the Avtech dvr's have to be opened up in order to reset. I am not sure if this one does or not. Also not sure of the model number. I'm going to have her look to see if it can be reset from the menu.

I had my GF do a factory reset from the menu and reconfig the network settings and it's back up and running. Still odd to me though.

I was thinking that only I am getting problem from Ubuntu system, but after reading your post it's common to all. So anybody find any solution over here.

What problem are you having exactly? I may be able to help, it took me a few day to get everything working with my Ubuntu system