Sign in to follow this  
jessica.pichardo

Can't control 2 Pelco Spectra IV IP PTZ cams through KBD300A

Please Heeeelp meee! I have tried a lot of configurations but I can't seem to make any advance. I have controlled one camera with the keyboard Pelco KBD300A and had no problem, but I want to add another camera, same one, and it doesn't work.

Does anyone else have tried this and succeeded??

Thank you for your time guys!

Pelco says "Up to 16 receivers can be wired to a keyboard" in their spec sheet but, unlike many other of their products, they don't have the manual online. My guess is that you have to daisy-chain the two PTZs or use a CDU-T or equivalent and assign each PTZ a different address. Then you would have to go into the KBD300's programming and set both PTZs' addresses and serial data specs. Not sure how to do that without a manual.

That's the problem. They don't put it on a manual. I even had to email them to see how I was supposed to connect the camera to the keyboard, but now they are sending me to a company in my country, and I don't trust them.

Pelco says "Up to 16 receivers can be wired to a keyboard" in their spec sheet but, unlike many other of their products, they don't have the manual online. My guess is that you have to daisy-chain the two PTZs or use a CDU-T or equivalent and assign each PTZ a different address. Then you would have to go into the KBD300's programming and set both PTZs' addresses and serial data specs. Not sure how to do that without a manual.

I found the manual online. KBD300 Manual

According to what I'm reading and assuming you are using direct keyboard PTZ control, you should be OK assuming you set both PTZs to the same "P" or "D" protocol and to consecutive addresses and either daisy-chain their control ports or use a CDU-T or other code distribution unit. You would then key in Camera 1 to control Camera #1 and Camera 2 to control the second camera.

The problems become more intense when you also use the KBD300 to control a switcher, though.

Maybe you are daisy chaining wrong? The connection goes (KBD Tx+/-) > (PTZ1 Rx +/-) > (PTZ 2 Rx +/-)... All PTZ's connect via their Rx ports - there normally is no connection to their Tx ports. You are allowed to splice the control cables near each PTZ in a daisy chain, so you can run your twisted-pair cables to near the first PTZ, tie that pair together with one going to the second PTZ and one going to the first (no longer than 3 to 6-foot-long jumper from main line to each to PTZ's Rx), then continue that way for each.

Remember, if daisy-chaining in that way, turn the terminations "off" on all middle PTZ's in the chain and "on" on the last.

Survtech,

I'm gonna try and connect both PTZ to the keyboard. I had them connected like this: KBD T+/- , PTZ1 Rx +/- and PTZ2 Rx+/- (the PTZ1 Tx+/- to the PTZ2 Rx +/-). What I'm going to try connect both PTZ's to the KBDKIT Tx +/- and see if it works like that. I think that's what you suggested.

In the manual only refers to one camera. This is the same manual the KBD300A that I have. It came with the keyboard but can't seem to get some good from it.

The last one has the termination OFF. And I'm using on both Pelco D protocol and RS-485.

I'll let you know how it works! And thank you for your answer!

I found the manual online. KBD300 Manual

According to what I'm reading and assuming you are using direct keyboard PTZ control, you should be OK assuming you set both PTZs to the same "P" or "D" protocol and to consecutive addresses and either daisy-chain their control ports or use a CDU-T or other code distribution unit. You would then key in Camera 1 to control Camera #1 and Camera 2 to control the second camera.

The problems become more intense when you also use the KBD300 to control a switcher, though.

Maybe you are daisy chaining wrong? The connection goes (KBD Tx+/-) > (PTZ1 Rx +/-) > (PTZ 2 Rx +/-)... All PTZ's connect via their Rx ports - there normally is no connection to their Tx ports. You are allowed to splice the control cables near each PTZ in a daisy chain, so you can run your twisted-pair cables to near the first PTZ, tie that pair together with one going to the second PTZ and one going to the first (no longer than 3 to 6-foot-long jumper from main line to each to PTZ's Rx), then continue that way for each.

Remember, if daisy-chaining in that way, turn the terminations "off" on all middle PTZ's in the chain and "on" on the last.

That's right Ben!

When you say you want to use another one, do you mean at the same time? Like two hooked up to the same keyboard?

You could home run both, as you suggest, but you don't have to. What I was saying is this:

KBD Tx---------PTZ-1 Rx-----------PTZ-2 Rx----------PTZ-3 Rx----------etc.

Termination "off" on PTZ-1 and other "middle" PTZ(s) and "on" at end PTZ. There is no connection between the Tx and Rx ports in a PTZ so by hooking Tx of PTZ-1 to Rx of PTZ-2, you "broke" the daisy chain. Your only connection at the PTZ end should be at the Rx, so you would have two wires connected to the middle PTZ's Rx port - the one from the controller and the one going to the next PTZ. Maintain (+) to (+) to (+)... and (-) to (-) to (-)... all the way to the end.