I'm trying to decide between a standalone NVR and a PC-based system for a 5 camera set-up. Many of the same names are continually recommended. Could anyone tell me how much the Exacq Start and Pro software would be, how much the camera licenses cost, and if the licenses need to be renewed yearly (excluding upgrade fees)?

That's the Pro version, Start which I reviewed on my blog is $50 per camera. You can also start with Start and then upgrade for $100 per camera.

Exacq uses the annual upgrade fee is not required on a fully functioning system to keep it running every year. But you must pay the 25 annually if want to continue getting our updates which includes feature enhancements and new camera support. If you decide not go with paying the annual upgrade and you want to add more cameras you must select a camera that is supported on the revision of Exacq you currently have installed after which you could purchase a license to cover the additional camera.

This works ok for the first year or so until that really cool camera comes along that you want to add and then you contact exacq to find out that the annual has not not been paid and you would owe 2,3 or 4 years of back upgrade fees in order to add it in. LOL!

The way they work the annual can be confusing. I don't fully understand it either and I have hundreds of licenses sold. I have one customer who pays the annual because they only have 8 cameras but my other customers who have up to 40 cameras refuse to pay it.

So if I understand it correctly let's do some simple math for someone who wants to add 1 camera currently unsupported to there 4 year old exacq (lol were they even around 4 years ago!). Scenario.....hi Mr or Mrs customer yes you can add this new camera to your existing 8 camera system that does not support the new model. Let's see......8 x $25 = $200 and we need to multiply that for the past 3 unpaid annual fees (first year is free upgrades!) so 3 x $200 = $600 + $150 so your new camera license will just cost you $750. Skip a few restaurants in the next few months and you could easily add that camera in there

What happens if you download the latest version as a trial and apply your license keys from a previous version?

The key is encoded with the Mac address and date stamped. Get ready to grab your ankles

You can tie it to a USB NIC and Exacq sells a USB key for this purpose so you can trasnfer it from PC to PC. Part number is ev-usb-nic. They do charge a fee to transfer a license to another server.

What if you run ExacqVision on Linux or Windows inside a VMWare virtual machine? Then you can set the MAC address of the virtual ethernet connection.

Edited by Guest

You can tie it to a USB NIC and Exacq sells a USB key for this purpose so you can trasnfer it from PC to PC. Part number is ev-usb-nic. They do charge a fee to transfer a license to another server.

What if you run ExacqVision on Linux or Windows inside a VMWare virtual machine? Then you can set the MAC address of the virtual ethernet connection.

Huh? This has nothing to do with the software upgrade fees and why are you always trying to circumvent the VMS manufactures SLA?

Someone said the license is tied to a MAC address and date and you can have a portable NIC, they even sell it. I don't understand that if you have a portable NIC, and you move that NIC to another PC that has a different version of the software, why would it not work?

Purely in the interest of science I tested a few scenarios. As someone, I think Hardwire previoulsy stated, changing the MAC address in Windows does not change the MAC address the software is looking at, so you can't move the software to another PC without getting a new license key. I believe they charge $125 to issue a new license key.

I then tried it on Win7 on VMWare (on my Mac, not to be confused with MAC), assigned the MAC address to be the same as the licensed used for another PC. That works perfectly.

So if it was me, not trying to cheat, but wanting to preserve my investment, I would try and run the Linux version of the server software on a virtual machine using VMWare server or the open source Virtual Box would do the same thing using a derived MAC address. This way you can uninstall/install all day long and apply the old license key. Whether or not this works from version to version, I don't know, but don't see why not.

In theory, you can download the latest eval version, apply your old license key to it by using VMWare to create a new image with the OS and new software.

I'm saying don't do a software upgrade, install the latest version, re-apply your licenses.

Do you know the maintenance costs for Start? I know the prices vary from $42-50/camera depending on the number of cameras for the initial license but I can't find maintenance prices anywhere.

Huh? This has nothing to do with the software upgrade fees and why are you always trying to circumvent the VMS manufactures SLA?

Thewireguys,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and find buellwinkle's post to be very informative. We are talking about licencing, you are not a moderator so please stop moderating other members that bring valuable information to this forum.

Thewireguys,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and find buellwinkle's post to be very informative. We are talking about licencing, you are not a moderator so please stop moderating other members that bring valuable information to this forum.

dsheli...... I am not moderating anything I am just correcting false information. I know Exacq very well.

I'm saying don't do a software upgrade, install the latest version, re-apply your licenses.

FYI it will reject the license and you will have to download a older version of VMS that matches your license.

FYI it will reject the license and you will have to download a older version of VMS that matches your license.

I have tried the same thing, it doesn't work, and if you have a drive failure and have to reinstall the software, getting the older versions of software is a PITA.

Wow, that is very restrictive. I don't mind paying for software and I don't expect upgrades forever but I do expect that for the version I paid for, they keep the camera list updated for free and that I can re-install on any hardware at anytime without their intervention.

Camera updates are included in the yearly fees. If you stop playing them and you want to add a camera that is not on the list your SOL.
....And that's how I found out about those problems! I ate the relicensing costs on 22 cameras for a good customer to save face, for providing him one new camera that wasn't supported on his older version of Exacq.

Lost money on that one!

True story,

Went to upgrade a 3 y\0 exac hybrid dvr that had never had any upgrades done. Over $2500 in upgrade fees.

600-for each year up to the current year

300- for the current year

Then $25 per ip camera per year. (14 ip cameras on the system)

Was shocked and actually looked at other hybrid\NVR systems. In my research have found that most major system players do the same thing. Just have to watch how they word it.

Have been just sticking with cameras that I know will work with my systems I have in place. That way you don't have to upgrade unless you are wanting to do something special.

True story,

Went to upgrade a 3 y\0 exac hybrid dvr that had never had any upgrades done. Over $2500 in upgrade fees.

600-for each year up to the current year

300- for the current year

Then $25 per ip camera per year. (14 ip cameras on the system)

193226_1.png

Yikes. I know that when you get a hybrid server now you get three years right off the bat and that is good for 8 IP cameras. For the servers I get with 16 analog inputs the extra years ore only $300 retail which is not bad at all for us anyway. That includes the 8 IPs it shipped with. The cost of a single cheap IP camera, so we are okay with paying that. Then you pay for each IP camera over 8.

I'm up to 22 separate hybrid servers in service here now and I only have 30 to go or so. Another 20ish are IP only so I'm building those myself and just purchasing the licenses.