300winmag

Total newb looking for help understaning.

The wife and I just bought a house and we would like to put up a cctv system.

I am in the middle of the basement reno right now(no drywall yet) so it would be a good time to run cables.

I have a budget of up to $300 for A good quality... zoom??? camera, will need 4 to 6 of them and I would like to hook them up to my offline computer but was told by a pro today that a PVR is a much better idea. He would not go into detail though... which is better? So as a newb I need to know what cables to run from the cameras outside to the basement where they will be run up to the second floor office, but first don't I need to know what cameras I'm getting or do they all run on the same cables? I don't want to buy cameras yet because I have done no research, however I need to run the cables soon because the basement is close to being dry walled. Man this is crazy I have so much stuff on the go it's insane so any help would be appreciated.

Good Camera Models up to $300???

Which lines to run from cameras to basement??? Cat6 and a power cables?? Power cables stay in the basement beside the breaker box???

Winters are cold here so it has to be weather proof.

Fixed lens are a pain so I'm thinking of getting zoom... unless its a crazy overpriced option then I will stay with fixed for better picture.

Any tips or explanations would be of great help

I would run Cat5 for all possible cameras (actual and prospective). You use one pair for video (using baluns), 2 pair for power and leave one as a spare. This Thread might help you get started. http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30672

If your set up (DVR) will be in the basement (like mine) you can run one Cat5 from there to the office (or where your router is). All of the camera wires will run from each camera to the basement (my camera wires are regular Cat5 and were initially tucked under siding but now in conduit - better option) and terminate at the DVR with baluns. I can then get the camera images via remote software over the LAN to any computer in the house. I have a second floor office as well and have a computer on all the time so I just turn the monitor on and the cameras are on the screen. Keep in mind you don't have to have a dedicated computer like this but, I found, it is better for me to just sit down and turn on the monitor while I work on other computer stuff.

Jason's got some great tips to get you started. At this point, you're mainly worried about getting the cables where they go, so as he says, I'd start with Cat5e (Cat6 is fine if you can get it for the same price, but not necessary, and may be harder to find proper connectors for).

Run cables to everywhere you want cameras now, and everywhere you think you MIGHT want cameras in the future (while you're at it, might as well run some phone and networks drops as well).

Make sure you leave a good-sized coil of extra wire at each camera location - better too much than not enough! (Or as my buddy says, "I'd rather be lookin' at it, than lookin' for it.)

Run all wires back to the same central location, whether it be the basement, or a comms closet, or wherever you want to gear to reside. Somewhere cool, dry, and relatively secure is preferable. Keep in mind some equipment can be noisy, so you want somewhere that the constant whine of a small fan won't be annoying to daily life.

If you're running phone and network at the same time, make sure to label everything! Better yet, use different-color wire for camera runs vs. other runs.

When the time comes for cameras, come on back, and we can help with other options, but just a couple considerations up-front:

If you want a good general-purpose analog camera, I recommend this: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073 - they can be had for $165 and up and are vandal-resistant, weatherproof, support dual-voltage power, have a versatile 2-8.10.5mm lens, and excellent low-light performance.

If you decide on megapixel for some locations, the dome in the ad to the left of the page is a good choice if you have good lighting.

When looking at a DVR, consider spending a little extra on a hybrid system that will support both analog and IP cameras.

For analog cameras, I suggest these units: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev16p-vps.htm - they combine baluns and power supply in one unit, making for very efficient and clean installations (four- and eight-channel models also available). At the camera end, a balun like this: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm will make for easy connections.

So all I have to do is run one Cat5E cable per camera and that 1 cable with a bunch of smaller wires in it will take care of everything?? Thats easy lol. But I was going to put the power box for the cables in the breaker room... and the monitor is 2 floors up, so I would have to run the cat5e wire from outside in to the breaker room and then up stairs to the monitor... damn.

Could I put the power box for the cameras upstairs behind the monitor desk in the office or should they always be down stairs in the breaker room? It would be nice to go straight from the cameras to one location.

I already have 2 computers, I want to turn one into a DVR and leave it off line. I don't want IP cameras or wireless anything.... Check that I just started reading that thread jxk716 sent me and wow what a difference between CCTV and IP. I thought IP cameras were the same as CCTV but made for the internet? Argh.

Ok so after some reading and videos I definitely want IP cameras now lol so much clearer I cant believe they even make analog anymore. The question is do I want to buy a standalone DVR or use my computer as one.. I have a stupid amount of hard drives lying around the house so I could save a lot of money going with my comp but what are the drawbacks? And do all IP cameras require just one cat5e cable or should I wait to run the lines before I know what cameras I'm getting? Thanx for all your help guys!!

But I was going to put the power box for the cables in the breaker room... and the monitor is 2 floors up, so I would have to run the cat5e wire from outside in to the breaker room and then up stairs to the monitor... damn.

For same price for a decent DVR card in the computer (where the camera wires will connect) you can get the same basic DVR I have for $229 (500 GB Drive). It is also worth the peace of mind that the unit is new, simple to operate, dedicated to a security deployment and will probably last longer than the used PC (this is not to knock PC based systems). All of this to say you would get the cameras on the monitor upstairs using the remote software. To tell you the truth the remote software (PSS) is better for playback and most DVR settings than sitting at the DVR. for example, I only go downstairs to playback once a week at the DVR - mostly to adjust lights that are on timers. In my case I have a 15" computer monitor connected to the DVR but you can use an old TV (or anything with a video in or VGA port) if you don't have an extra monitor

Could I put the power box for the cameras upstairs behind the monitor desk in the office or should they always be down stairs in the breaker room? It would be nice to go straight from the cameras to one location.

It is usually best and most convenient to place the power supply near the DVR. Like I said, it was easist to run my wires into the basement because the cameras are about 9 feet from the ground. Anything mounted higher than that risks facial identity.

I already have 2 computers, I want to turn one into a DVR and leave it off line. I don't want IP cameras or wireless anything.... Check that I just started reading that thread jxk716 sent me and wow what a difference between CCTV and IP. I thought IP cameras were the same as CCTV but made for the internet? Argh.

Looking back I should have purchased a Hybrid DVR for home (the pictures in my previous post were from a Hybrid DVR at work) which would have eventually allowed me to go IP. The image is a heck of a lot better....that said, I have no complaints about the analog cameras (CNB VBM 24VFs) at my house - especially since the police were recently able to charge and get a conviction on some teenagers after a mugging in camera view.

I cant believe they even make analog anymore

Well, there's alot to consider when choosing a surveillance system. I just installed a mostly analog system in a 1200 sq ft business. IP wasn't needed to capture what was needed. The cost was much lower also.

And do all IP cameras require just one cat5e cable or should I wait to run the lines before I know what cameras I'm getting? Thanx for all your help guys!!

Yep, one Cat5 to each camera but you will need a switch to connect all cameras; then a lines goes from the switch to the DVR/Computer. Don't forget you will still need to power the camera which is why PoE is easiest. In this case you'll want to get a switch with PoE. At work we have the Cisco SF 302-08P but there may be others in a better price range.

I'll let others chime in on a pc based system and NVRs

Personally, I'd say run all the cables to the "breaker room", then put the power supply and recorder there, whether PC-based or standalone. Almost all types of recorders allow you to access them via network, either through a web browser or through their own client software.

If you're going with all-IP, it's still better to go with a dedicated system, whether PC or standalone; you don't want your regular desktop computer doing double-duty.

Also, whether you're building your system on a spare PC, or using a standalone DVR or NVR, almost all of them can use the same SATA drives. Get a standalone that has room for several drives and just put them in that.

And do all IP cameras require just one cat5e cable or should I wait to run the lines before I know what cameras I'm getting? Thanx for all your help guys!!

You want to look for cameras that support POE. Any indoor camera that you chose that supports POE you will only need one Cat5 cable but a lot of outdoor cameras require more then just POE for the heater/blowers. These cameras require additional 12 or 24 power so you would want to run a cat5 and a 2 wire.

Thanx for the tips guys, I'm trying to look at a bunch of camera's but every site I go to won't tell the price!! Annoying as hell because I don't want to waste my time drooling over a 1K camera.

Is there an IP camera that has adjustable focus and even a bit of zoom on the camera it self? I see a bunch of different lenses I could get....

And now I just realized it gets down to -35C here so most cameras are out the door now. I don't want to get a camera with a heater!!