dwschoon

Surveilance for a Business

I'm the IT guy for a law office. My boss wants me to research/install a surveillance system for our building. I've figured out that initially we would want about 5 cameras, so an 8 camera DVR would probably work. I've been looking on the websites that I use for pc parts, (newegg, amazon, etc) and the systems there seem to be no-name cheap systems with very little in the way of reviews or support. I'm hoping for some advice on where to look for good components. The budget is more than the cheap systems, but I doubt my boss would want to spend thousands. I would like something that I can run cat5 for, since I have over 1000' of it. The main requirement is that people can securely access the feed from home. We are almost exclusively an iPhone office, so I compatibility with that would probably be easiest. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome aboard!

There are lots of similar threads come up here recently - this post is a good one to start with: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30135#p188279

Not mentioned there is that Dahua also has a hybrid DVR, which can support both analog an IP cameras - if you're wiring with Cat5e to start with, it makes upgrading to megapixel cameras later very easy to do, so you may want to consider a hybrid if you think there's a chance you'll want to migrate to IP cameras in the future.

Your main requirement will be possible with both analogue and IP systems and hybrid dvrs.

With analogue you will use cat5 with a balun at either end and can switch to IP later with very

little expense regards the wiring. You can definitely afford a decent server be it Hybrid Analogue DVR or NVR.

I am not up on the US market but I would definitely recommend that you get a professional in that can

advise you the costs, about surveillance planning techniques, which are the best suited cameras and the capabilities yoou want, i.e we call these operational requirements. CCTV can be an off the shelf product but REAL CCTV that meets your needs, requires some experience and knowledge of cameras, lenses and thsier performance in different circumstances.

If I needed a Lawyer, I wouldn't go to the local barbershop to ask for their advice, I'd hire a qualified lawyer with some experience and proven knowledge. You have to consider what the operational requirements are, that you appear to have done.

if you're wiring with Cat5e to start with, it makes upgrading to megapixel cameras later very easy to do, so you may want to consider a hybrid if you think there's a chance you'll want to migrate to IP cameras in the future.

Can't go wrong with Cat5. I am incredibly thankful they ran it as our building was remodeled; its all buried in walls now. I remember thinking I would not get the budget for megapixel cams until years down the road. Then, a year later, after the wire install they told me to get them. Here are some pictures showing analog versus IP and some additional info on ip cams. Nothing wrong with analog cams - still have a bunch of CNB VBMs going strong.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

VSX.thumb.jpg.61554fb7ad3767f9ee47082413640830.jpg

CNB.jpg.cb89d87743a411df3fc5e0da03ec00e7.jpg

Thanks for the info. Unless its really cost prohibitive, I would like to go with IP cameras from the start. Any suggestions for models of dvr's and cams I should look at? Also, is there a site that lists reputable local dealers/installers? I will do all the work myself, but would like a fallback if I need some advice.

Someone suggested I look at Dahua. I was looking at this for a dvr.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=336&&css=0&&id=2

If someone tells me that I absolutely need to have analog support, ill look at this model.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=346&&id=29

As far as cameras, I would like to be able to see at night. I assume this requires IR leds? POE would be great if possible. After talking to my boss again, we will need at least 5 outside and 1-2 inside to start.

In *complete* darkness, you need to provide some sort of illumination... however, if you have at least SOME lighting in the area, the CNB VCM-24VF is a good analog camera: works with very little ambient light, vandal-resistant dome, IP65 rated so it can be used in direct weather, dual-voltage, versatile 2.8-10.5mm lens. That's the upper camera in jxk716's comparison shots above.

If you need to add illumination, I'd suggest motion-activated security lights before IR (especially before cameras with built-in IR). IR is nothing special - just think of it as strapping an LED flashlight to the camera, except the LEDs are emitting IR light instead of white.

The white light, meanwhile, will generally give a better, full-color picture, and if a light snapping on isn't enough to scare a prowler away, it will at least tend to make him look in the direction of the light... and if that light is near the camera, bingo, you get a straight-on, well-lit facial shot.

In *complete* darkness, you need to provide some sort of illumination... however, if you have at least SOME lighting in the area, the CNB VCM-24VF is a good analog camera: works with very little ambient light, vandal-resistant dome, IP65 rated so it can be used in direct weather, dual-voltage, versatile 2.8-10.5mm lens. That's the upper camera in jxk716's comparison shots above.

If you need to add illumination, I'd suggest motion-activated security lights before IR (especially before cameras with built-in IR). IR is nothing special - just think of it as strapping an LED flashlight to the camera, except the LEDs are emitting IR light instead of white.

The white light, meanwhile, will generally give a better, full-color picture, and if a light snapping on isn't enough to scare a prowler away, it will at least tend to make him look in the direction of the light... and if that light is near the camera, bingo, you get a straight-on, well-lit facial shot.

Is there any equivalent ip camera? I was looking at this.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=339&&css=0&&id=8

Those are a nice little camera, give really good picture with decent lighting, but not so good in low light. If you have good motion-activated floods they'd probably be alright (I haven't tested that). The second camera in Jason's examples is probably better for low-light; I believe that's a 3xLOGIC VSX-2MP-VD or 2MP-D2? We've used the 2MP-VD model in a number of low-light restaurants and been pretty happy with them for the price (there's definitely better out there, but you pay quite a bit more).

193074_1.jpg

193074_2.jpg

Those are a nice little camera, give really good picture with decent lighting, but not so good in low light. If you have good motion-activated floods they'd probably be alright (I haven't tested that). The second camera in Jason's examples is probably better for low-light; I believe that's a 3xLOGIC VSX-2MP-VD or 2MP-D2? We've used the 2MP-VD model in a number of low-light restaurants and been pretty happy with them for the price (there's definitely better out there, but you pay quite a bit more).

193074_1.jpg

193074_2.jpg

Where can those be bought? Art they POE, and if not, how do you get power to them?

They are PoE, yes. You'd have to contact 3xLOGIC and find a local reseller... or you could find someone who sells HIKvision, as that's the actual manufacturer of these cams.

They are PoE, yes. You'd have to contact 3xLOGIC and find a local reseller... or you could find someone who sells HIKvision, as that's the actual manufacturer of these cams.

Thanks. Will these work with the dvr from Dahua, or should I look at a dvr from 3xLOGIC?

Thanks. Will these work with the dvr from Dahua,

That, I couldn't tell you; I haven't tested it. Sean might have a better idea if the hybrid and NVR support HIKvision (OEM for the 3x camera).

or should I look at a dvr from 3xLOGIC?

You could do that too, although you're looking at probably three times the price. They are a VERY nice system, well worth the cost... but the cost ain't small

or should I look at a dvr from 3xLOGIC?

I sent you a PM about 3xlogic...let me know if you did not get it. Also, take a look at 3xLogic's web page, they have the cameras we have mentioned. They also have a full demo of their cameras/remote software from Colorado which is what sold me on their system since I was able to view live cameras, play back footage, initiate camera control (PTZ).

Attached is a night shot from their VSX 2MP VD (vandal dome) - bear in mind there is a lot of lighting at that location

443195290_VSX2MPVDNight.thumb.jpg.42b80bca6fd6f6b8ca2a717cff71a0ed.jpg

If you're an IT guy you could always use your own server or custom build one. There are lots of companies out there making software that you can purchase or download for free and then buy licenses for. Exacq has nice software that's easy to use for beginners. Not sure if they'll deal with you direct though but it's worth a try. Then you can use any of the IP cameras listed on there compatibility list (I'd go with Axis but they can be a bit pricey). Again if you're an IT guy I doubt you'll have problems doing the actual install but it would be best pay a consultant to do the design and spec the requirements of the system.

Just like with lawyers you may need one to look over a contract for you but it doesn't mean you need them to close the deal!

Colin B

http://zeecure.com

If you want a network IP camera solution it's called a NVR (network video recorder) If you keep atlking about DVRs thats what you end up with so remember DVR= Analogue it digitizes analogue signals to store digitally

NVR = Digital IP cameras the signal starts out digital (I think)

You may also have twigged by now that digital cameras are not so good in the dark as analogue cameras, I am not sure why this is I haven't given it a thought but that appears to be the general consensus.

Now you've leaned a trade trick, attracting the attention of an intruder to get a full face shot you're a pro and good to go.

Poor low light performance isn't really related to digital vs analog it's more like low resolution vs high resolution. Plus something like the Axis P3364 will outperform any analog camera and maintain a colour picture. If you're really concerned about lighting then just ad some low voltage lighting.

Colin B

http://Http://zeecure.com