groovyman

Cheap components + cheap installation = a worthless system

Like we all don't know this already, right?

Went to a store today to perform maintenance on a POS system and noticed the surveillance system. Store opened in January which was the last time I was there, so it's a very recent install.

Owner told me he paid $850 complete with installation for a 4 channel PC based system, but it doesn't work properly, he doesn't know how to playback video, can't connect remotely via a PC or smartphone and he cannot get ahold of the installer. What a freakin' surprise huh?

Wires are visible everywhere, very cheap cameras, terrible camera placement and the DVR is sitting on the floor in a hallway where employees walk past all day everyday. Installer ran 4 RG59 cables behind a bulletin board which is now cracked from buldging out from the wall. Oh, and it's plugged into a small power strip along with the camera power supply (wall wart). Has the cheapest i-inc 19" monitor connected and the live stream looks all washed out. Kind of reminds me of those really cheap qsee cameras with horrible color reproduction I always see with those dvr-in-a-box packages. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a cheap qsee card in the PC.

He asked me if I could fix it. I replied "Yupp, but it's called replacing it, not fixing it" and proceeded to show him a couple of recent installs via smartphone and remote software. He got all excited......until I started giving him prices (hardware only - wasn't worth getting into installation charges). He's staying with what he has, which is good for nothing. Completely threw his money away in my opinion

He got all excited......until I started giving him prices (hardware only - wasn't worth getting into installation charges). He's staying with what he has, which is good for nothing. Completely threw his money away in my opinion

He'll come around the first time a serious incident happens and the video is completely useless...