jpmad4it

DVR / CCTV system - SMTP send email has stopped working?

Hi all,

I have had my DVR and CCTV system setup correctly for the past few months; remote access from WAN, sending sensor alert emails correctly via an SMTP email account etc. Now all of a sudden, the email function has stopped working and I cannot figure out why. Everything else is working fine.

I am able to access the SMTP email account via the telnet CMD prompt in Windows, so port 25 isn't being blocked by my ISP.

The SMTP is standard (it requires a username and password but no SSL / TLS etc). The port is 25, here are the settings that my DVR accepts:

SMTP hostname: http://mail.mydomain.com

Encryption mechanism: none

Port: 25

From address: web@mydomain.com

Password: mypass

To address: myemail@myemail.com

My subscription to the SMTP mail account is still current, it is an SMTP account that we use at work.

Here is a screen for my DVR settings:

193831_1.jpg

Here are the settings for my sky broadband (I've erased IP addresses for security)

193831_2.jpg

Do the settings match up correctly or do I have some of the IP addresses in the DVR settings entered incorrectly?

I've tried other email accounts too, such as Gmail SMTP etc and I simply cannot get it to work.

I get the error: "Unable to connect to email account"

I have tried forwarding port 25 to my DVR in my router settings - but this made no difference.

All outbound services are already allowed on my router.

All the systems that are in place work just fine, and that's why I think that there may be a problem with my network being able to connect to the email account, but I have no idea what it could be. That's why I have initially posted my broadband settings; so you could see if they match up to the DVR settings up correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? Any help will be much appreciated.

regards jp

You shouldn't (need to) use "http://" in the SMTP hostname.

Your DVR should also have DNS entries of some kind, otherwise it won't be able to lookup the SMTP server by name. If your router supports DNS pass-through, just put the router's IP (192.168.0.1) as a DNS server in the DVR.

Better yet, switch the DVR to use DHCP, see what settings it gets from the router, then set it back to your hardcoded address.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Sorry I shouldnt have put http:// - I don't use that in my settings.

My router is using DHCP already. I've reserved the IP of 192.168.0.11 for my DVR.

When you mention setting my DNS in the DVR, is that where it says "preferred DNS" in the DVR settings screen?

Thanks in advance.

When you mention setting my DNS in the DVR, is that where it says "preferred DNS" in the DVR settings screen?

Correct. Try using 192.168.000.001

And thank YOU - your first post gave all the info needed to solve it. So often it's just "My thing isn't working, how can I fix it" followed by three pages of back-and-forth trying to extract enough information to figure it out.

More people should take a lesson from you when they come asking for help