w0rldtravlr

Geeking around, pet project

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but having lurked about I see lots of great contributions so I would like your opinion on a project and to share the outcomes regardless of how I proceed.

I live downtown Toronto and frequently make time lapse video and other shots from my balcony and windows up high (40th floor). I'm looking for a means to be able to capture more with less gear. Right now I make small projects using a DSLR or HD webcam, Neither of which is particularly weather resistant, limiting what and when i can capture. The DSLR image quality is top notch, but it can't stream, and prolonged time lapse is a burden on the shutter lifespan. The webcam can stream, but it's ability to capture reliable images is less than ideal.

To be clear, I'm a hobbiest, I make nothing from my project, I just do them to be a creative geek and learn along the way.

As such, I'm considering using IP network camera(s) to do the same job. Either several fixed cameras, or a PTZ device/dome. My questions are thus:

If go with a PTZ dome (min 1080p capture, outdoor rated), does the 'guard toor' functionality in these camera position the sensor reliably enough that over time I could make a time lapse video out of the various views without the image shifting around or jittering too much?

Can you recommend any less expensive 1080p PTZ domes? I've looked (and drooled) over the likes of an Axis Q6035-E, but at almost CAD$4K, it's a pretty expensive gadget that would be hard to justify. The Vivotek SD8362E looks interesting, but I'm not sure about their reputation. I'm sure there are Bosch or Sony options also?

If I were to go with fixed cameras, could you recommend good 1080 or better IP outdoor imagers? I would obviously need to keep the cost minimum to achieve the same versatility as a PTZ dome (I think?)

Thanks for reading, and help you can offer would be appreciated.

Take a look at the Dahua ESIP-MP2-DM1 dome: 2MP/1080p, IP66-rated dome. Can record directly to internal micro-SD and/or FTP/NAS, based on motion, alarm input, or constant recording, and pretty decent (though not outstanding) night performance. Lists at $200 so you could spread several of them around. Here are a couple shots from a recent install I did with them:

194651_1.jpg

194651_2.jpg