Sign in to follow this  
blowrabbit

new hardrives in kalatels

has anyone any experiance with retrofitting a dvrme with bigger hardrives, say replacing a 160 gig with 2/ 320's ? is it a plug and play and do the drives self format? does the speed matter? your help is greatly apprieciated.

they dont need to be formatted, as its RTOS Nucleus.

They use master and slave settings as with IDE drives in PCs.

Im working on the DSR2000 right now and upgrading the drives, will let you know, basically it has 2 ports, which can hold 4 drives using 2 cables. If you only bought it with 2 drives it would only have 1 cable for example.

Also depends on which DVMRe you have, and how old it is.

Its supposed to be 5400rpm or used to, im waiting on reply from GE on that as they are very difficult to find now.

The reason for the 5400RPM drives is because they draw less current on the DVMRe motherboards internal power supply circuit than a 7200RPM drive. The 5400RPM drive draws around 450Ma and the 7200RPM almost twice that. GE has brought out a piggyback PCB for the motherboard that seems to bypass the normal internal power supply in so far as the hard drives are concerned. I am able to obtain this mod PCB from GE in South Africa so it certainly should be available in the US. Otherwise a little bit of careful/skilfull electronic DIY, perhaps using an external low-profile PC power supply should be fine.

I hear yah about the PCB but do you think this would work regardless, i havent got any response from GE yet, so I need to try something .. but i cant order this without being sure as it costs $600 time as it lands down here .. If i had time and client could spare time without it for a couple days, id do what you said with a PC power supply, if thats the only reason for the 5400rpm drives, though I though there was other reason?

The only reason I'm aware of is due to the current load of the HDD's on the motherboards regulator circuit. I've been running two modded DVMRe's (Rev 5.21) on a customer site, each with 2X 400Gb under the hood (customer didn't have budget for a DVSe !!) for over a year now. Before the power mod the DVMRe's kept rebooting with the new drives. After checking the debug messages on the "IP"/dev.ssi page it showed the problem as a failed disk spin check (before the DVMRe boots up properly it checks and waits for the drives to reach proper spin in xx Secs). A check of the current draw showed the prob. Upped the juice and no problem. Have quite a few GE units now running some months with 7200 drives.

I got a reply from GE US, im waiting for the serial number as they as ked for t that for some reason,now this is the DSR-2000 though so may be a little different, the board is different I think, but maybe just as it misses the Mux part.

Anyway, worse case I can get 2x160GB 5400rpm Recerts from Tiger in Miami for $75 each for now, then I can play with the old one some more. .. High crime night club so needs to be recording 24/7.

GE's Part no in South Africa for this mod is 0110-A025, described as "Hard Drive Upgrade Kit". I agree that your shipping costs would be high for such a small item. It seems that all the mod PCB does is bypass the 12V DC line from the power pack jack straight to the drives. The 5V line is still fed from the motherboard. Makes sense as the 5V line probably feeds the drive processor PCB and the 12V line does the motors. Will get a snappy of this and send it to ya with more tech info.

i have a dvrme 10ct with audio / 160 gig hdd and i am wondering if i can jack it up to 2/320 hddrives for a total of 640 gb? what about using seagate 7200 rpm 320 gb hdd's?

ok, im still waiting to here back from Ge .. i sent them my version numbers etc .. the DSR2000 definately has the room for a full PC power supply though .. but the client doesnt have time for that mod ..

TigerDirect has some Recertified 160GB 5400 HDDs so we will probably just get those .

I've got the DVRMe 10CT and I just stuck 2 320gig drives in there with no problems. Atleast I haven't noticed any. I'll take a look at it tonight to see if its rebooting itself. But from what I can tell from my monitoring systems (ping checks every 5 minutes), the DVR from Kalatal seems to be holding up with 2 320gig drives. Power draw from the socket was only 45watts with 2 drives, and 35 watts with 1 drive.

andy