Sign in to follow this  
keith

IR Illuminator Question

I have a question that might seem stupid but here goes...We have a couple of these http://www.scdlink.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=1577

on a beach site and they go out about once a year. Our maintenance guy opened it up and discovered all it is is a regular bulb you can buy at Home Depot and the lens filter is what makes it "IR". So instead of buying replacements at $100,he said we should buy a replacement bulb at Home Depot next time.

My question is: Is this how most IR Illuminators are made and does anybody else only replace the bulb inside saving money? I am specifically wondering about the more expensive longer range illuminators.

Im using the Extreme CCTV Uf500 IR Illuminater, the bulb lasts approx 2 years, and then requires replacement. It is NOT a regular bulb that you can buy anywhere, though it looks similar. We buy a couple to have on hand all the time.

That unit you posted is a generic unit, OEM, we used them in the beginning and chucked them after a couple months as they just didnt do the job. I cant say what bulb that uses though.

Are you saying you buy a whole new unit after a year?

The Extreme Replacement Bulbs are around that price Retail, but the IR is extremely better, 490' with a Spot Beam.

Even the UF100 will beat that, and is the same idea,

replacement bulbs.

UF500 - approx distances

beampattern2.GIF

Rory,

We have looked at the UF500s for another site but haven't finalized the project yet so I haven't had one in my hands to see how it was made. The performance is definately impressive on those.

I didn't actually see the bulb and opened unit myself on the one I am talking about ( I am taking the electrician's word for it), but he claims it was a regular Home Depot bulb that can be bought for around $3. Is it possible that this is true? That the bulb is a regular bulb and it is the lens that filters out the visible spectrum? Is this is so, we can continue using these and simply replace a $3 bulb when it goes out. They do the job on this location because the distance is less than 100'. They are right on the beach, however, and (as you know being in the Bahamas) they take a beating from the elements.

I was hoping this would be the case with some of the longer-range, more expensive IR Illuminators. You say the replacement bulbs for the UF500s are only approx. $100? They are not "regular" bulbs you could find at Home Depot?

Even still, that is not bad for replacing every 2 years.

It is a Halogen Lamp, so it will use halogen Bulbs, if you can find them in the local Home Depot? Do a search on google though there are tons of sites that sell them.

Here is one source, check the bulb inside the Illuminator and match it up under the Halogen section if possible.

http://www.bulbs.com/default.asp?page=products

The lens is the width of beam, the lens will have the filter as you said, to filter the IR that is produced, such as 730nm, 830nm, 950nm. The greater the filter is, the IR amount is decreased, and the IR gets less visible. So a 730nm filter will produce the most available IR for a specific Illuminator.

Retail the UF500 bulb is $164.

Here are the General Specs on the UF500:

Extreme Infra-Red flood lamps are optically precise units incorporating high quality precision filters, gold-coated or aluminium reflectors and optimised lenses. Other than the bulb replacement there are no user repairable components within the unit and it is, therefore, sealed for life. Do not, therefore, attempt to dismantle or gain access to the unit other than for bulb replacement.

Rory,

Thanks for the knowledge

Yeah I did see those before on here...those are good night shots.

I'm liking the UF500s more and more

I wish I could get some more shots ... soon, very soon

by the way that is heavily compressed video saved over the internet from a GE Stand alone DVR, so imagine how good it looks on the analogue monitor

Notice the driveway cam, with all the vehicles, that jeep on the top left, you can see right inside .. and though there is some small garden lighting in that snapshot as they were having a party, even then it is almost pitch dark.

There's TOO much IR to get licence plates though as you can see the glare on those, but thats not what we were aiming for

Here are some shots of the beach camera with the cheap IR that I was talking about. The resolution is 342 by 236 so it's pixilated blown up but it's also not bad with direct live analog feed. Camera is a Pelco Espirit type.

25454_1.jpg

It's not as bright as your UF 500 but all we need to see is if someone is coming off of the beach.

In this area, normal landscape lighting is illegal right next to the beach because of sea turtles hatching in the area. The light throws them off and they end up in swimming pools