bpworker

Recommendation - ExacqVision system

Looking for recommendation for a new NVR system for using in a commercial environment. We currently have a 32 camera analog system and would like to add a few IP cams as well as some megapixel cams.

One product I have looked at is the ExacqVision hybrid NVR with 4TB. Reason being is to transfer over 16 of our analog cameras off of the older system and the ability to purchase and utilize IP cameras. I'm just wondering if anyone has used this hybrid NVR and can comment on performance etc when using all 16 analog channels plus the addition of two Arecont AV8365DN cameras, 1 AV8185, a Sony PTZ and a Sony IP dome. I realize this is specific but was hoping I'd get some feedback on any of this equipment and how well it would work together.

Also if I understand correctly the Arecont cameras would only need one IP licence from Exacq even though it's technically a 4 camera system? Is this correct?

I use a ton of the hybrid systems and like them a lot, just installed two more the day before yesterday actually. You can get hybrid systems that will do 32 cameras too so you can use more of your analog investment that you have already done.

When you purchase a hybrid system it comes with 8 IP licenses without having to get any more. I have systems running 16 analog cameras and 9 IP cameras and it runs with no issues at all. I just use the more basic 1608-12-1000-DT system and it runs perfectly with that many cameras. I've never used more than 16 analog, but I had zero issues, the processor overhead is almost nothing really so I don't think you will run into issues with the number of cameras as far as Exacq is concerned. I also purchase the 1tb units and add my own storage, it is cheaper that way.

As long as the cameras are on the compatibility list then you'll have no issues, and I have made cameras that were not on the list work also though it will not work every time.

You will probably see Avigilon recommended for your environment from others also, I tested it and several other brands and it came down to Avigilon, Exacq, and one other smaller company. In the end Exacq won out, it was much more inexpensive for our uses with what it included. Avigilon may be cheaper for other setups though.

The other system that has come up for discussion besides the Exacq is the NUUO NVR and the Vivotek FE8171V cams instead of the Arecont cams. I suppose what I'm asking before pursuing this second option any further is how does the NUUO hardware/software compare to the Exacq in terms of performance and ease of use?

I've watched the demos of the Vivotek cams and looks impressive as far as what it can do but between a fisheye Vivotek and the 360 Arecont which one is going to give me better coverage and detail?

I would look at Avigilon over Exacq. Avigilon has no recurring fees, cameras are plug and play, the video search feature smokes Exacq, and you will spend less money on a Avigilon hybrd system. Now it you have MAC computers and don't want to run windows on them then I would recommend Exacq.

I also looked at NUUO, I cannot remember why that one would not work for us, but I remember we found out pretty quickly it would not do something we needed so it was not looked at very long.

I am using ACTi and Vivotek mostly, I am using the ACTi 360 cameras plus the boxes, bullets, and a few domes. With Vivotek I have only used domes and bullets. I have had more failures on the Vivotek cameras though, I sent two back yesterday for warranty repair actually. Repairs are done quick so no issues there, but I sort of moving more to ACTi as so far I've only had one camera ever fail from them so far.

Camera wise it really depends on the need of the shot, I'm not stuck on a single brand. It's another reason I like Exacq as they support a ton of cameras so I have a lot of options. For us cost was much less with Exacq - but for some they may be more than Avigilon it really depends on your uses.

It may be more cost effective to dump the Vivotek as used cameras, replace with all ACTi and use their latest ACTi NVR software which is the best I've ever seen, uses minimal CPU resources, is fast and is FREE. 16 cameras are free. If you are using or tried the old ACTi software from a month ago, the new one is many times better.

...the video search feature smokes Exacq...

Hey Mike!

Has anything changed since last year, in the sense that Avigilon could only do a pixel search if you were using Avigilon cameras? I have Axis and Vivotek cameras, and remember testing the software last year and couldnt do a pixel search, and thought I remembered you saying that you had to use Avigilon cameras for that feature to work. Is this still the case? I think pixel search is *very* powerful, but was disappointed to find that it wouldnt work with the 6 cameras that I already had in place, unless I replaced them with Avigilon cams.

Thanks!

Yes you need Avigilon cameras/encoders for the pixel search to work. Basically every manufacture does motion detection differently and most do a box style motion detection where to create a window over the area that you want motion to be detected. Avigilon does this differently where they do more of a per pixel motion detection which is more powerful and lets you do the pixel motion search in the VMS.

Here is a video on how to view recorded video, bookmark, search and export video.

http://www.avigilon.com/support/training/b_2/small.html

Yes you need Avigilon cameras/encoders for the pixel search to work. Basically every manufacture does motion detection differently and most do a box style motion detection where to create a window over the area that you want motion to be detected. Avigilon does this differently where they do more of a per pixel motion detection which is more powerful and lets you do the pixel motion search in the VMS.

Here is a video on how to view recorded video, bookmark, search and export video.

http://www.avigilon.com/support/training/b_2/small.html

Have you tried the newest version with server side motion detection on third party cams to see if that would work now? I haven't had a chance to try that yet.