Sign in to follow this  
ronwood

Battery powered single IP camera??

I’m looking for a very low power consumption solution for recording a single IP camera. Everything must be 12 volt compliant. The system will be powered by several deep cycle batteries.

Remote access is not needed. I would like to record directly from the IP cam to a 1TB storage, without using a PC/NVR, switch, router, etc. Basically, just the camera & storage.

I already have ACTi & Axis cams I, but I can change them if needed.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

ACTi and Axis make excellent cameras.

Check out Mobotix. Their M12 uses only 4 watts, pretty low and has a complete NVR solution built into the camera. No PC or NVR ever needed for anything. You can have it write directly to NAS, you can use a tablet with a browser, smart phone or in a pinch a PC to view live or recorded video.

Some Axis cameras support Edge recording and can be viewed via their Camera Companion. So you can record to a NAS via a mount point or FTP. Camera companion can then be used to view the cameras live and and recorded video. Somewhat like Mobotix, but you need a PC with windows to run Camera Companion, not browser based like Mobotix but easier to use.

ACTi can FTP video, but there's no easy way to review the video as there is with a complete NVR solution.

I know the ACTi's usually have a 12V connector as an alternative to PoE. The Mobotix and Axis are typically PoE only but you may be able to find a PoE Injector that takes 12V in and outputs 48V PoE standard.

buellwinkle, Thanks for the reply. I've read several of your reviews...your site is very helpful & informative.