the lemming

Can you get a DVR that connects to a router?

I'm trying to find ways to improve on my home CCTV setup.

A year ago I bought a cheap DVR which was as useful as a chocolate teapot. It would record footage but used a propriety format which meant that I could only view footage on the DVR. This wasn't exactly a good setup if I wanted to pass on any evidence to the police.

Now that a year has moved on, I'd like to know what DVR options are out there and if any can connect to a home network via my router with a budget of around £200 or a bit more if I get a better product?

At the moment I have an analogue CCTV camera attached to a laptop via a USB connection.

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=497

I'm trying to find ways to improve on my home CCTV setup.

A year ago I bought a cheap DVR which was as useful as a chocolate teapot. It would record footage but used a propriety format which meant that I could only view footage on the DVR. This wasn't exactly a good setup if I wanted to pass on any evidence to the police.

Now that a year has moved on, I'd like to know what DVR options are out there and if any can connect to a home network via my router with a budget of around £200 or a bit more if I get a better product?

At the moment I have an analogue CCTV camera attached to a laptop via a USB connection.

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=497

How's the stability on this product? Does it run 24/7 without any problems?

There are a lot of "older" 4 channel DVRs that are on sale these days. I guess the cost would depend on what bells and whistles you may want, like browsing on your 3G/LTE smart devices. How about upgrading to an embedded system? I'll PM you a list of options.