flasecurity

Help with RJ11 Camera problems

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance with a problem I am having with a new security system and our old bullet cameras. Thank-you in advance.

I am attempting to use 4 cameras from a "Security First 5005" system. These cameras are hard wired from the camera to a RJ-11 connector. I checked the Security First (sams club type system) manual and it confirms they are RJ-11. I do not know the power consumption but they are IR and carry audio.

The new ADT system has power module to "power" the cameras thru RJ-11 and convert the video signal to the BNC connection. The existing 4 cameras will not power up or display any picture. Is this a problem in the wiring of the RJ-11 on the existing cameras or is the module not providing them enough power? The 2 ADT cameras (A-CBHD36JI) work find, display and power. The ADT camera info can be found here.

http://www.adt-matrix.com/app/webroot/img/FCKeditor/File/Specs_EN/MNI2004-01.pdf

Here is the Security first manual w/ the cameras that will not function with the new ADT system.

http://securityfirstcamera.com/ddrivers/19DVR/SDVS-1904_or_5005_Manual.pdf

I'd say the problem is that there is no "standard" for RJ11 wiring when used with cameras this way, and so the pinouts may vary from one brand to the next. If you double-check, you may even find one is a 6-pin connector while the other is a four-pin connector.

Unfortunately, there's the possibility you've already fried the cameras, depending on which pins the accept power on vs. which pins on the DVR provide the power.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance with a problem I am having with a new security system and our old bullet cameras. Thank-you in advance.

I am attempting to use 4 cameras from a "Security First 5005" system. These cameras are hard wired from the camera to a RJ-11 connector. I checked the Security First (sams club type system) manual and it confirms they are RJ-11. I do not know the power consumption but they are IR and carry audio.

The new ADT system has power module to "power" the cameras thru RJ-11 and convert the video signal to the BNC connection. The existing 4 cameras will not power up or display any picture. Is this a problem in the wiring of the RJ-11 on the existing cameras or is the module not providing them enough power? The 2 ADT cameras (A-CBHD36JI) work find, display and power. The ADT camera info can be found here.

http://www.adt-matrix.com/app/webroot/img/FCKeditor/File/Specs_EN/MNI2004-01.pdf

Here is the Security first manual w/ the cameras that will not function with the new ADT system.

http://securityfirstcamera.com/ddrivers/19DVR/SDVS-1904_or_5005_Manual.pdf

Hello,

you may want to consider a couple of things.

1. What is the distance from the DVR to the camera? It should be sufficient and voltage drop should not be a concern.

2. Get a volt meter and splice the RJ-11 or get a tip that's small enough to touch the metal connectors. If you have 3 pairs, video, audio and power, one pair should read 12v, video should read 1 volt and audio.... should have almost no voltage.

If the power source (DVR) is putting out 12V DC but at the camera end you're not receiving 12VDC, then my guess is that the gauge on the wire on the RJ11 cable is not big enough...? The camera should operate anywhere between 9 to 15 volts. As for the video signal, you should get at least something even if you're below 1 volt...

Good luck.

If the power source (DVR) is putting out 12V DC but at the camera end you're not receiving 12VDC, then my guess is that the gauge on the wire on the RJ11 cable is not big enough...? The camera should operate anywhere between 9 to 15 volts.

Actually, this is a good point for another reason: lots of times these "package" systems DON'T operate on a standard 12VDC - the cameras may be looking for 12V but the system is only providing 9V or less.

Or the cameras may be looking for a lower voltage while the system is providing a higher voltage, which could kill the cameras, even IF the wiring is right. While many "12V" cameras WILL handle anything between 9-15V, in my experience, there's a number that won't, including some models from some bigger-name brands that have gone up in smoke with even 10% over-voltage.

If the power source (DVR) is putting out 12V DC but at the camera end you're not receiving 12VDC, then my guess is that the gauge on the wire on the RJ11 cable is not big enough...? The camera should operate anywhere between 9 to 15 volts.

Actually, this is a good point for another reason: lots of times these "package" systems DON'T operate on a standard 12VDC - the cameras may be looking for 12V but the system is only providing 9V or less.

Or the cameras may be looking for a lower voltage while the system is providing a higher voltage, which could kill the cameras, even IF the wiring is right. While many "12V" cameras WILL handle anything between 9-15V, in my experience, there's a number that won't, including some models from some bigger-name brands that have gone up in smoke with even 10% over-voltage.

The spec says that the camera requires 12 to 15 volts. If you are only reading 9 volts from the power source (DVR, whatever), then you have a problem... Also, how much juice are you getting from the power source? Combined with the DVR and these 4 cameras, it should be pumping at least 5 amps. These 12/24 LED cameras don't require much current, but if it's not getting 500mA, then it will not function properly either...

Now that I am reading the manual, this looks like the old Argus H.264 unit.

Have you contacted the manufacturer for support? If the power out for camera at those RJ11 ports are reading 9V then you should get a replacement.

Thanks for the responses. The cameras function on the old DVR which does look like a Argus h.264. The ADT system is using a "CONKIT" to power its 2 IR RJ-11 cameras. This is not powering the old cameras.

I did not know that RJ-11 wasn't a standard pin pattern. I'm learning. Hopefully we didn't fry the cameras, they were decent cameras that worked OK for 5 years.

Here is the CONKIT

http://www.adt-matrix.com/app/webroot/img/FCKeditor/File/Specs_EN/1561-02CONKIT.pdf

I will probably just buy 4 new cameras for the new DVR and set-up the old system and cameras at another location. Could someone suggest a decent color camera w/ IR for a small business. Somewhere in the range of $80-100 per camera would be ideal. If they would function with the ADT RJ11 CONKIT that would be a bonus.

Thanks Again