Sign in to follow this  
David Reed

Setting up Vivotek NR8201 and cameras

Hi.

Im trying to set up my Vivotek NR8201 and a couple of vivotek dome cams.

The Nvr has detected the two cameras, and I can see what they display on my PC using the Vivotek Internet explorer interface, but I can't get them to record anything using motion detection, only by selecting manual record. I also don't see any settings listed for turning IR on, FPS settings etc.

Is this because I have plugged the cameras into the NVR and then the NVR into the Broadband WiFi Router?

Do I need to set up the cameras first by plugging them straight into the router first and using a different Vivotek program?

Thanks

Okay, this is how I solved my problems but now have another one.... doh!

Putting the NVR to one side, I inserted each camera directly into the router, adjusted the settings, and was able to view the camera on my Ipad accross the web. Done this for both cameras in turn (as I only have one spare socket on the router).

I then disconneted the cameras from the router, plugged in the NVR in its place, and connected both cameras to the NVR. Adjusted all the relevent settlings, and now both cameras are viewed at the same time, and are recording on the NVR HDD fine.

Only issue is that now I cannot view the cameras via Ipad?

The IP of each cameras has changed, so Im guessing the NVR attributed a different IP to each one, but I updated the IP's in the Ipad app, and it still wont view them?

Any ideas?

When you say the IP address have changed, do you mean you use DHCP addresses and the changed, like from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.12? If so, then you need to set static/fixed IP addresses for each camera so you can setup for port forwarding so you can view the cameras remotely. I have an article on this on my blog if that helps.

Hi.

Yes, that's how they changed. I don't have static IP, so I was using Vivoteks safe100.net, which worked fine for the cameras when they were plugged directly into my router.

Ive done exactly the same thing this time, except plugging the cameras into the NVR, and the NVR into the router, but it isn't working. Grrr. I've checked that I'm using the correct passwords, ip address etc, so I really am at a deadend.

Can I check that I still use the IP of the individual cameras that the NVR gives them, and not that of the NVR itself?

Can you ping each camera at the IP settings you believe they have? That's always a good first step.

My Uverse router assigns IP addresses based on the MAC address, so once it's assigned an IP address the first time, it's essentially fixed for that device. If not for that, I'd be running them all as fixed addresses.

A few Arecont cameras have IP address trouble anyway, and I've set them for fixed IP addresses, which cleared that up.