saulunlooper

cannot format hard dirve, need help

i bought the following dvr system on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GEN-4-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Home-Security-System-Network-Video-Audio-Mobile-ACC-/200799321334?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item2ec0927cf6

When I power on the dvr it makes a buzzing sound for about 2 seconds. It says hard drive not connected. I am supposed to format this hard drive so i can use it. However, when i follow the instructions and go to hard drive management and click on Format hard drive it doesnt do anything at all. I took out the hard drive and connected it to my computer to see if it is working and my computer does recognize it as a 500 gigabyte hard drive. What could be the problem? are there any tricks on formatting the hard drive? Is there another way of formatting it maybe on my computer so the dvr recognizes it and i can record on it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

i bought the following dvr system on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GEN-4-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Home-Security-System-Network-Video-Audio-Mobile-ACC-/200799321334?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item2ec0927cf6

When I power on the dvr it makes a buzzing sound for about 2 seconds. It says hard drive not connected. I am supposed to format this hard drive so i can use it. However, when i follow the instructions and go to hard drive management and click on Format hard drive it doesnt do anything at all. I took out the hard drive and connected it to my computer to see if it is working and my computer does recognize it as a 500 gigabyte hard drive. What could be the problem? are there any tricks on formatting the hard drive? Is there another way of formatting it maybe on my computer so the dvr recognizes it and i can record on it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is there just one slot for the HDD connection? You should contact the manufacturer or the seller to obtain that information. Typically when a DVR has a format function, it shouldn't have a problem formatting any drives.

But then again, a few manufacturers are adamant about using a specific HDD from a list that they provide. The compatibility and reliability have gotten better over the years, but this should give you a place to start.