mdemers800

Advice on Residential system

I am going to self-install a home surveillance system. We had a recent break-in in the neighborhood and my wife would feel better if we had such system. I am looking for some advice.

My Priorities:

1.Home distribution of DVR/NVR video output over existing rg6 network. I have amplified RF of non-HD satellite TV going to 5 TVs. I want to modulate the DVR output and combine onto that system. When I am away I want my wife to be able to change TV channel and see output of cameras. I assume this will limit the quality of the real-time viewing, but I still might want better cameras to increased image quality if I want to inspect DVR playback. I would want to run HDMI from the DVR to a local HD TV in addition to the distribution network. Can I use both BNC (TV) and HDMI outputs at same time? (I have existing IR repeater system I can probably leverage to repeat the output of the remote control.)

2.Remote access via browser and Iphone/IPAD app.

3.Cost: I assume I will spend $1000+, but I don’t want to be way more than that. Certainly, not twice that. I am willing to go with 6-8 cameras now, if that is important to get to higher quality at this price.

4.Image quality. Most distances to monitor are 30 feet or less. My wife requested one camera on the second story to monitor street traffic to the benefit of the whole neighborhood. We a have gated street with 16 homes. The recent break-in was some guys from a gang and they went door to do nocking saying they were looking for their dog, before the found someone not home. I could have probably caught them walking down the street.

5.DVR vs NVR vs hybrid decision. I certainly can get away with 700TVL analog for a number of my spots, but I may need MP for the street view. Not sure what the trade-offs are for saving money on a few IP cameras vs a hybrid DVR. Or maybe I can go all analog.

6.Night vision with low light. If my wife hears a noise at night, she would like to be able to take a look at what is going on outside.

7.Ease of use: I am tech savy and can tolerate some complexity, but prefer simplicity.

I have a large Spanish style house with covered verandas, cabana and 10 exterior entrances to cover. Most exterior cameras can be fairly well sheltered from both sun and rain. I want a few interior cameras (garage, central hallway) so I probably want 8-10 total cameras. Some exterior cameras can cover 2 doors.

I am a complete DIY, I was the general contractor for the home and I did all of the low voltage wiring in the house (LAN, phone, security system, etc). I have a lot of spare cat-5 and rg6 cables in attic and stubbed out in walls, running back to a head-end closet. I should be able to leverage this for almost all of the cameras. Little incremental wire to run. This closet is where the video distribution network is also. This is where the DVR will go. I am assuming individual power supplies, as at most of the locations I can supply power fairly close to the camera and see no reason to run back to the DVR.

It is attractive to just go to Costco and get the 16 channel Lorex system that comes with 8 Sony 700TVL cameras for $xxx ($300 sale right now) and call it a day. But I am wondering if this is short sighted.

Advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long write-up, but I see most request for advice posts resulting in requests for more info.