b_shizzle

Multi-camera viewing online

I have installed an 8 camera system (Posiedon 85) 500gb DVR into my wife's daycare. All of the cameras are mounted and connected to the DVR which is just currently ran to a TV.

This system supports internet viewing out of the box but here is my concern. I want to make each camera (1 in each room) viewable from a separate link. Is this possible?

I thought about splitting each BNC connector with a "T" and adding a BNC to Composite adapter for each camera. The problem is what would I use to connect 8 component video cables to?

At a guess, I'd say you'd need to create eight separate user account and passwords, and give each account access to only the one desired camera.

At a guess, I'd say you'd need to create eight separate user account and passwords, and give each account access to only the one desired camera.

OK, I understand that. My question is how to connect 8 different cameras so that they can be viewed individually. If I connect my DVR to my router and use the port fowarding method, there is going to be 1 IP address for all 8 cameras correct? And whoever logs in is either going to see the 8 camera split screen, or which ever camera I have selected to view. Does that make sense?

If I connect my DVR to my router and use the port fowarding method, there is going to be 1 IP address for all 8 cameras correct?

Not exactly. There will be one IP address for the DVR. You cannot connect directly to the cameras; your remote software will be connecting only to the DVR.

And whoever logs in is either going to see the 8 camera split screen, or which ever camera I have selected to view.

Incorrect (disclaimer - I'm not familiar with that SPECIFIC DVR, but I'm betting that it works the same as 99% of them out there). Whoever logs in SHOULD have the ability to view any combination of cameras they choose, search recorded video, and if the account gives them permission, access the settings. They will not simply see a copy of your DVR's local display screen; the DVR is taking the digitized video and streaming it back out over the network.

Normally you'd be able to create different user accounts with different levels of access - ability to see live video, but not recorded video, and so on. IF the DVR supports the ability to control camera access by account, then you can set up accounts that are only able to display a single camera (or a specific 2 or 3 cameras, if you prefer).

If I connect my DVR to my router and use the port fowarding method, there is going to be 1 IP address for all 8 cameras correct?

Not exactly. There will be one IP address for the DVR. You cannot connect directly to the cameras; your remote software will be connecting only to the DVR.

And whoever logs in is either going to see the 8 camera split screen, or which ever camera I have selected to view.

Incorrect (disclaimer - I'm not familiar with that SPECIFIC DVR, but I'm betting that it works the same as 99% of them out there). Whoever logs in SHOULD have the ability to view any combination of cameras they choose, search recorded video, and if the account gives them permission, access the settings. They will not simply see a copy of your DVR's local display screen; the DVR is taking the digitized video and streaming it back out over the network.

Normally you'd be able to create different user accounts with different levels of access - ability to see live video, but not recorded video, and so on. IF the DVR supports the ability to control camera access by account, then you can set up accounts that are only able to display a single camera (or a specific 2 or 3 cameras, if you prefer).

Gotcha - That makes sense. I wasn't sure what the user accessing the link would see/be able to do. I will continue with the port forward method and see what that looks like. Thanks for the info!