Kawboy12R

CNB VCM-24VF installation waterproofing question

I just bought a couple of CNBs MonaLisa chipset vandalproof domes (VCM-24VF). They feel very sturdy but I'm at a bit of a loss about how to install the wires and keep the housing waterproof.

There are two screw-type knockouts for the wires to enter but no waterproof way to close the holes after the wires are in. I'd expect an included rubberized screw-tight strain relief gizmo like 120v electrical boxes for wet locations have or something else for securing the wires. My first installation is going to be under a deck attached to the underside of a horizontal 2x10 with the wires entering from the hole in the side of the dome. There's a 1" or so hole after the screw plug is removed but no way to secure the dome after the wires are in. It seems strange that they'd supply o-rings for the screws to mount the housing to the "ceiling" but not have a way to run the wires in without closing the hole.

I can maybe see them assuming that the wires will be run down through a hole in a ceiling of some sort and directly into the top of the housing, but why include a screw-out access port in the rounded side of the housing where it couldn't be mounted securely to a side wall?

How do YOU mount them outside without water getting in them?

Gotcha. Thx. I've had rubber grommets suggested to me as well. Conduit would fit the vandal-proof nature quite a bit better though.

surveillance dash video dot com. They showed up as the lowest price at the time on PriceGrabber. $135 each. The guy on the phone was a bit different at times and it sounded like he got bugged by his wife as he took my order but the order went out quickly and he kept in touch quickly with any questions.

the "waterproof" portion is the camera housing itself - the backbox isn't designed to be completely water-tight. if water does get into the backbox, it should be able to drain out around the edges. the wire entry into the camera body *is* sealed.