Lord HowitHurtz

OMG!! Look..another password reset question.

Some time ago I purchased a generic dvr and Sony cameras from ebay to setup a home surveillance system.

I had it setup and running for a while and for reasons I forgot I took it down and for a couple of years it's been sitting in storage. I recently found it in a tub and thought I'd try to sell it or trade it. But it's been soo long I forgot the password to reset everything.

I was able to track down the manufacturer and sent an email to them asking how to reset the password. I received an email from Jerome in China telling me to follow the instructions he enclosed in a zip file. Enclosed in the zip file was an update and instructions which when applied would update the dvr and remove the passwords leaving behind a fresh install on the hdd. I hooked everything up according to the instructions and when I click on the update.bat file a small window opens up, some text rolls up the window and it closes in a blink of an eye. The window is supposed to stay open so I can type in some further commands; according to their directions. I contacted Jerome again informing him their update wasn't working, that was over a month ago and I haven't heard back.

I registered on this forum and did some searching for reset password and after reading thru a lot of topics I'm trying one thing I've read here. I opened up the case and removed the battery and in about 18 hours I'll find out if that trick worked (i read leaving the battery out for 24 hours might reset it). Also I read some topics about doing something with jumpers on the motherboard. But it wasn't clear as to what to do with them. There are jumpers on the motherboard. I've enclosed some photos if that will help. The second motherboard picture shows the jumpers in the middle.

The dvr is model number DVR-MP04V

Any help at all is most appreciated.

dvrmotherboard2.jpg.7231aa62777e32a5e4e35e593e4c847a.jpg

dvrmotherboard1.jpg.2d102f22add907fb3e0718fa938c65ae.jpg

dvrfront.jpg.4d55f574f7818d8c5d69275368c481b0.jpg

I put the battery back in and all it did was reset the time.

As for the jumpers I got out my magnifying glasses and looked over the motherboard and noticed the three pins were marked PAL/NT so I know they are for switching between American and European TV standards and wouldn't have anything to do with resetting the hdd, and while I had on my magnifying glasses I looked over the whole mb and did not see a reset switch.

I noticed on the box it says removable hdd. If I were to swap out another hdd how would I load in the firmware? Is it in the memory of the motherboard or would I hook it up to a pc through an ethernet cable?

In your second picture - just to the "south" of the sister board there is a RESET SW1. Can you take a closer picture of that location?

dvrmotherboard2.jpg.2b07a60960da8273b28ecc9d45779060.jpg

Holy Crap!!

I didn't even see that HUGE type saying reset and I poured over that MB for almost a half hour with my magnifying glasses. I guess I was looking at the smaller type and looking for an actual button that said reset similar to the reset button on my PC MB.

But yes there is a reset but it's a little pin hole instead of a button.

Do I stick a pin in there or is there a certain procedure for resetting?

Thanks!!

dvrreset.jpg.8dfa626fecae78526f8f610916bed788.jpg

Since no one got back to me I took the initiative and got a small piece of wire and inserted it into the hole. I didn't feel any resistance inserting the wire so I didn't know if it had done anything. I hooked up the dvr and nothing had changed. How does this type of reset 'button' work?

I know this is old, but maybe the OP is still around. Did you try running update.bat from a command prompt? If you need instructions on how to do that just ask.

Hi groovyman, I am having the same problem (trying to reset the password) on my AVTech KPD674. I have tried the suggested solution: Disconnected the DVR power. Then, made the chip resistor (TP5 and TP6)short-circuited with a paper clip, and re-connect the power. I then remove the conductive paper clip when I heard a short beep sound, then wait till the DVR reboots, but on each occasion it has made no difference, and I have not been able to reset the password.

Could you help me with the instructions for running an update.bat from the command prompt?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi guys, I am having the same problem (trying to reset the password) on my AVTech KPD674zb-c. I have tried the suggested solution: Disconnected the DVR power. Then, made the chip resistor (TP5 and TP6)short-circuited with a paper clip, and re-connect the power. I then remove the conductive paper clip when I heard a short beep sound, then wait till the DVR reboots, but on each occasion it has made no difference, and I have not been able to reset the password.

Could you help me with the instructions for running an update.bat from the command prompt?

Thanks!

Mziyas