First off, this is totally-gratuitous, non-functional, blue-sky BS...

But it's started bouncing around in my head...

My vehicle has a rooftop box on it.

Just for grins, I've thought about putting 4 cams and a PC inside said box: one each facing forward, backward, and each side just to record what goes on around here on a typical day.... maybe create clips of some of the crazier stuff.

Seems to me like the successor to the LogiTech "Pro 9000" USB-connected webcam I use on my desktop would be up to the job - and the price is right at about $70 a pop.

That leaves an automobile-specific PC - something that could live up there in the box and run headless on 12v...... the joker in the deck being the need for a half-dozen USB ports (one each for the cams, one for a wireless keyboard/mouse, and one just for GPs).... I can even see a monitor in the cab: basically a small TV screen connected via a WiFi adapter....

And once the thrill wears off, I could dedicate that PC to the remote site where my muy-expensivo VAIO laptop is now doing duty as a Blue Iris server.

Bottom Line:

I'm guessing there's a whole little subculture devoted to in-car PCs... but maybe not where I'm thinking about taking it.

Does anybody know of anything?

Edited by Guest

I'm actually working on the same thing based on a Ubuntu notebook mounted in the spare tire compartment running Zoneminder with USB cameras mounted inside the windows pointing out. For realtime viewing I plan on streaming the recording via VLC to a dash mounted Android tablet.

I'm actually working on the same thing based on a Ubuntu notebook mounted in the spare tire compartment running Zoneminder with USB cameras mounted inside the windows pointing out. For realtime viewing I plan on streaming the recording via VLC to a dash mounted Android tablet.

Needless-to-say we eagerly await a summary once it's up and running...

The other option is to go with dedicated dash cams, without the PC. If you go to Amazon and search on dash cam, you'll see quite a variety, mostly with terrible reviews, but a few with better ratings.

Not as flexible or powerful as a laptop based system, but probably quicker and easier to set up, with less power draw.