dbooksta

Setting up new system on Cat6: IP mature/cheap enough yet?

My site is wired with Cat6 and Gigabit switches. I brought in a $700 16-channel D-1 DVR and now I'm looking at the hassle of cutting spaces for all these baluns in exterior walls and wondering why I'm plugging in $160 analog cameras when 1080p digital sensors are available for pennies.

I want a standalone NVR with mature software and remote (substream) access like the analog DVRs have, and last I checked (a year ago) that cost multiples of the analogs, and the IP cameras were also double the price. Well now it looks like maybe the IP cameras have fallen into line with the analogs?

So what's the state of the art: Are there mature 16-channel NVRs around the $1000 mark I should be using? Or should I finish the site with analog and give the IP stuff another year or two to mature and reach mainstream prices?

dahua makes a 16-channel nvr that will record up to 120fps combined at 1080p, can be found for under $500, and a 1080p mini-dome cam that goes for around $200. their nvr has essentially the same interface as their dvr, works with the same "pss" software and mobile apps, and in fact, the pss software will also find and view the cameras directly. i've used a couple dozen of these domes now, they're really nice little cameras for the price.

I've been running an Aver NV6240 in an i3-540 PC for a few weeks now, and it's been running pretty well. You could do that for under $1k, and would have the flexibility of a PC based system instead of a dedicated NVR. PCs are sometimes not as reliable as dedicated NVRs, though, so there's always a tradeoff.

This would let you use existing analog cams and switch over to IP cams as your time and budget allows.

Be careful of the -P model's with the built in PoE router, it's not a switch, so you may have trouble if you are expecting to plug that into your home router for remote access or even connectivity within your home network.

hello

to buy Dahua camera via alibaba or aliexpress, which seller did you chose?

minimum order quantity?

the software is good? we can connect via smartphone application (android)?

which dahua model do you recommand for interior use?

Thanks a lot for your replies guys

which dahua model do you recommand for interior use?

I'm waiting for the IPC-HDW2100 to come out. It's an outdoor camera but looks compact enough to work well indoors.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw2100-195.html

How about the IPC-HDBW3110? Is this an older camera? Looks like it has more IRs, but I am not able to find it for sale and the supplier I use stated it wasn't on sale yet.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdbw3110--24.html

How about the IPC-HDBW3110? Is this an older camera? Looks like it has more IRs, but I am not able to find it for sale and the supplier I use stated it wasn't on sale yet.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdbw3110--24.html

They do have lots of cameras on their website that you can't find anywhere for sale. That camera you mention is too chunky for indoors for my tastes, probably work well outdoors. Also, it has a lower frame rate compared to their other cameras.

Actually with the exception of the IPC-HDB3200C it looks like all other IP cameras are still $300-600. (Which makes no sense to me.)

I'm only interested in 1080p, but I would want other focal lengths and some with IR illumination, so unless I'm missing something maybe the IP marketplace isn't mature enough for us price-sensitive users to take the dive.

When you consider what you are getting compared to other vendors, $300-400 for a 1080P camera, varifocal lens, good low light peformance, IR illuminators, it's a steal. A comperable camera from Taiwan (ACTi, Messoa, Vivotek, Geovision, Speco, Brickcom) would be double in price. The reason that little 1080P dome is cheap is that a) it's a day only camera, b) has limited settings for a dome. Adding day/night IR cut filter on most brands adds $100 by itself.

Why not stick with 720P/1.3MP. When you think about it, the 1.3MP cameras Dahua have images that are 960 pixels tall vs. 1080 pixels tall, only about a 10% difference for something like facial recognition. I use 1.3MP on most of my house indoors and out because it's all you need for smaller areas in a home or small business. Sometimes I find 1080P and the 16:9 aspect ration too wide. I have yet to use a 1080P camera in a commercial environment, all 3MP, not for the better resolution, but for the 4:3 aspect ratio. I believe the 1.3MP bullets are on eBay for $185 shipped which is a pretty good deal and way smaller than the 1080P bullet.

What price range did you feel makes it affordable for you (and be realistic)?

My reference point is D1 analog, so even 720p/1.3MP would be a great improvement in resolution. Of course top-of-the-line vandal-resistant, outdoor, IR-illuminated D1 cameras go for under $200, so anything much above that gives me pause given that I need at least 10 cameras. What are recommended 1.3MP IP cameras for the various niches (e.g., outdoor, IR, wide-angle, zoom)?

For under $200 your choices are limited. Dahua is probably your only choice. They have a bullet, the IPC-HFW2100, has illuminators, day/night, 1.3MP. They have a mini-dome coming out soon that's probably comperable to the bullet, just different shape called the IPC-HDW2100 for probably the same price. They don't seem to put varifocal lenses on their low end but you can order from a selection of lenses like 3, 6 & 8mm. If you buy in quantity, I'm sure you can work out lower prices.

If you step up to a Taiwan company, the prices do go up, but so does the level of support and service and a U.S. presense. ACti makes a camera comperable to the IPC-HFW2100 called the TCM-1111 for just under $300. To get varifocal lens means stepping up to the TCM-1231, now the price doubles. Decent vandal domes with illuminators will be in the $500-800 range. I use an ACTi TCM-7811 dome in front of my house, but not cheap.

The theory is you can use less HD cameras vs. D1 cams to cover an area that may justify the higher cost. Most people have cellphones in their pockets capable of recording 1080P video, most have TV's that can play 1080P video. I don't understand anyone that would want analog D1 equipment or buy an old analog tube TV.

Thanks for those recommendations.

I agree it's stupid to be using analog D1 when I'm plugging into Cat6 cable, but it's also stupid that these IP cameras based on $10 imaging chips and firmware, LEDs, and lenses are selling for $300-800 when analog cameras with all the features except resolution (plus a DAC) are under $200. I'm in an irritating situation: Spend $1500 for a 12-camera D-1 DVR system, or spend double that for an IP/NVR system. I want the resolution of the IP cameras, but I don't like feeling like I'm getting ripped off, or getting hit with the "early-adopter" premium, which is what these IP cameras seem to be doing.

Don't use all megapixel cameras or use less if the resolution can cover what you needed 12 cameras to do in the past. For me, I would rather have half the cameras in HD resolution than twice as many analog D1 cameras.

I can't find that Dahua offered domestically.

I'm tempted to just find a Cat6-to-MicroUSB adaptor and buy a bunch of $100 waterproof digicams and leave them in 720p movie mode!