rwx

DDNS while away

I downloaded some DDNS software to update my dynamic IP, but it looks like it requires a program to run all of the time on one of my home network computers to assure that the IP is up to date.

Since I do not keep them running when I'm away on vacation, I was wondering if there was any other solution.

many routers have built-in ddns support, although most are limited to dyndns.com, maybe no-ip.com, maybe one or two others, so you'd have to have an account with a supported ddns provider.

thanks. I looked at my router, and it does support dyndns.com. I think I'll try to find a router that supports one of the free services.

Thanks -- that site did not support my modem, but I figured a door way. My IP does not change for days, so I can have the DVR send an alert once a day, and you can get the originating IP by looking at the email source.

Not very slick, but it would work until I can get something automatic set up.

It might be worth it to sign up for the dyndns.com service even though they now charge. At one time it was free but they decided to start charging one day and I only found out when I couldn't use the service anymore and lost my connection. My Linksys router doesn't support anything else as I came to find out -- even contacted Linksys to confirm. It might be easy to change your IP address once you get a message alert but what happens to your coverage if you can't get to it instantaneously? It's $20/per year and even though it pains me to pay it I haven't had a problem since I signed back up with

Just call your ISP, get a static IP, forward your ports and put the static in the DVR, go on vacation, cancel static when you get back.

My QC444 manual implies that it can be done direct from the recorder, however it does not seem to work.

I assume that if I can access using the current IP outside my network, then the ports should be open for the DVR to perform the task.

Other programs (No-IP.com and MyQ-See.com) seem to rely on a program running on a local network PC to get the IP updates.

Problem solved. My Q See recorder will transmit WAN IP updates without any PC running.