hdman93

new to forum and DVR recording missing incidents/stopping

First off I will apologize for the length of this post and try to keep it to a minimum. I have had some issues with DVR's not recording an instance or stopping recording while the incident is in progress. I have no clue as to why we are losing anywhere from 2-40 seconds of recorded time. I have been in the cable installation field for 15 years and industrial electrical/electronic for 15 years prior to that. We have (my wife and I) known for several years there is someone that is creating a nuisance for us.. anyway we decided to put in a 4 camera system about 4-5 years ago, one of the Vsnyc package deals.. someone tried to kick our back door in... couldn't find it on video anywhere.. I wrote it off as to it had happened such a time ago that the 40 gig HD had overwritten it.. about 2 years ago that DVR took an electrical hit and we replaced it with a SVAT 8 channel with a 80 gig using the same cameras.. this past week my wife was very sick, had been to the doctor, asked me to pick up her medicine.. I was at work, I own my company..before I got home she called someone had pulled in our driveway.. around the back of our house, took pictures of her car and left... I reviewed it on and can see them pulling into the driveway, down the drive until almost right at the spot where you can see who is driving and the camera stopped recording, then the other camera picked them up around back taking pictures of her car, as they are turning around the camera stopped recording.. back the the first camera, you can see the hood of the van as it exits from around the house, but as it gets into the spot where you could possibly get a tag number the camera stops recording again... I have set and watched a couple of hours of recording and not miss a beat.. from squirrels, rabbits, birds, cars travelling by the house... there is no way to jam a wired system right??

anyway to remotely cut off a camera??

I know lots of filler in this but if I could get some repsonses maybe get a dialog going on possiblities

Thanks

to be blunt, these sound like common problems with these sorts of cheap systems. this is what happens when people fall for a low price and pretty pictures. 80gb drive? how old is these system? i don't think anything has come with an 80gb drive in about 5-6 years.

well I can handle blunt... and this paritcular DVR is only about 2 years old... and yes when I first got into this I think it as 1500 bucks for the whole system... I am gonna upgrade... the whole system after this incident... I am looking at the GE model 3108 DVR... and cameras gonna try to stay in the 150 buck range per camera.. any thoughts?

and I am right about the not being able to (jam) a wired signal???

.. someone tried to kick our back door in... couldn't find it on video anywhere.. ... I reviewed it on and can see them pulling into the driveway, down the drive until almost right at the spot where you can see who is driving and the camera stopped recording, then the other camera picked them up around back taking pictures of her car, as they are turning around the camera stopped recording.. back the the first camera, you can see the hood of the van as it exits from around the house, but as it gets into the spot where you could possibly get a tag number the camera stops recording again...Thanks

Are you saying that the camera stopped sending video OR the DVR stopped recording ?

to Installer... I am saying that reviewing the recording it seems to stop recording.. like... records from 12 :04 to 12:05:25.. then stops... the start again at 12:05:55...I can go forward to 12:06 and see recorded image... but it I rewind or play backwards it stops at 12:05:55... and I have sat down and watched the video before for an hour or so without any loss of recording.. and it happened on 2 cameras at differnt times but all within 3-4 minutes of each other...... almost like something was sent out to disable the camera for a few seconds.. thanks!!

Are the motion zones or dead time set wrong? It sounds like you are just coming to the end of the motion event or you have the time between events set way too high. Is there a way to increase the recording time per motion event or add more zones to force more event triggers?

Are the motion zones or dead time set wrong? It sounds like you are just coming to the end of the motion event or you have the time between events set way too high. Is there a way to increase the recording time per motion event or add more zones to force more event triggers?

+1

Try and recreate the event with someone else driving and you watching the dvr. Before doing that, go into and reread all of your settings for motion detection in the dvr to refresh your memory. It is most likely something set in a menu somewhere that isn't triggered in the other instances when you watched your recordings. Or something that happened before but you didn't NOTICE what was happening with the timestamps because it wasn't important. It should be easy to watch and figure out what's being recorded and why if your dvr shows on-screen that it is recording a motion event. To doublecheck that it IS recording everything, view someone recreating the vehicle's path in your driveway and review what was actually recorded. You should be able to figure it out. I doubt you've got black helicopters flying around and jamming your dvr at critical moments.

Thanks for all the input... It got me thinking about what was happening, and i went back to the DVR looking at all the setting again... We have had it set to record all the time not just motion events, nor do we have any areas targeted for motion or privacy... but I did find that when looking deeper into the files there are normal and alarm files... recorded normal until it, the van, reached an area that the camera is set to alarm.. feeling like an idiot... thanks to all of you... now I am off to hook my computer to it.. see if I get a better image and back the files up... I will let you all know how that goes... I have probably installed 50-60 cameras in my job just never really had to deal with alarm recordings and finding them on a DVR...

I am going to upgrade the cameras and DVR... looking at CNB XCM-24VF and the GE model 3018 DVR

and thoughts??