Sign in to follow this  
serbokl

mainstream/substream question

My understanding of substream function is that it is primarily for lower bandwidth situations such as viewing cameras on a smartphone. I use IP Cam Viewer on an Android phone with great success except I'm finding only the high-bandwidth main stream video from my HFW3200CN/NVR3208 is being received by the phone. IP Cam Viewer is unable to process all the video from the HFW3200CN 2MP camera. The substream function is of course ticked on the camera GUI. Please, will someone tell me how the substream ONLY can be received on the phone? Maybe this is question for the IP Cam Viewer author?

Make stream 1 the low res, low frame rate stream and record off stream 2. I know with BlueIris, you can specify the stream in the camera command and record of stream 2.

As John Lennon once said, "You may say I'm a streamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will be as one". But don't go by me, my wife says I always get the lyrics wrong.

Thanks buellwinkle for your suggestions. I looked very carefully at the encoding options and don't see any way to flip-flop the main and sub stream. It would be a perfect solution if the NVR3208 provided for it. I even broke down and read the entire 138 page manual and saw no reference to how to benefit from the substream. It's like the substream is there for a selling point but don't plan on actually benefitting from it on your smartphone. The problem is if you set the main stream to CIF right before leaving the site the recorded video of your MP cameras will be very poor. If you leave it set to 1080P then the IP Cam Viewer on the phone will have a heart attack.

I've used the second stream. For example, I can reference the second stream via RTSP to be used on some software. NVR's usually are more rigid as to what you can do. I should get a Dahua NVR soon and I'll see if there's some way to do it.

My understanding of substream function is that it is primarily for lower bandwidth situations such as viewing cameras on a smartphone. I use IP Cam Viewer on an Android phone with great success except I'm finding only the high-bandwidth main stream video from my HFW3200CN/NVR3208 is being received by the phone. IP Cam Viewer is unable to process all the video from the HFW3200CN 2MP camera. The substream function is of course ticked on the camera GUI. Please, will someone tell me how the substream ONLY can be received on the phone? Maybe this is question for the IP Cam Viewer author?

Not true. Primary strem is usualy MPEG based with all his problems.MPEG based compresions - like AVC - are great for stream-transport , because they record only diffirence betwen pictures. MPEG is using IBP frames and that basicly mean, than only every n-th frame is full, all other are constructed or compued from previus and next I frams. ( they areMPEG compressions with only editable I frames - mainly in video production - , but that means that they are then basicly sequences of JPG pictures - same as MJPEG). MPEG compression is extremly usefull in CCTV (talking heads sceenes) , but can be problematic on court if requested snapshot dosent exist and is "reconstructed". MJPEG on other side can always produce unreconstructed freame, but at cost of bandwidth and storagespace. So many misson critical casses ask for MJPEG compression.

MJPEG is series of full frames with regular JPEG compression, but compresed per frame.

i found some times ago a nice presentation of this from OnSSI : http://ebax.si/privat-kamere/videonadzor-kamere-kompresija.pdf

Depends on the camera and software. My Vivoteks let you assign any of the first 3 streams to any resolution and encoding. There's a 4th stream as well, but it may be limited to lower res - I don't recall.