Sign in to follow this  
Sizzor head

12Volt solar/batt power to 50W 24VAC converter

I'm working on a wireless standalone CCTV that will have a 80W solar panel and a 12V deep discharge battery. The camera is a 24VAC PTZ outdoor dome camera that draws 48W when the heater is on.

Anyone know of a efficient 12V DC to 24VAC converter that can handle 50W?

All the best and thanks for the help,

For starters, you do not want to be running a heater from solar, or you will need a lot more panels.

See if you can find a PTZ dome that will work from 12 volts - it's a lot easier than changing DC to AC.

If you already have the dome, check with the manufacturer whether it can run off 24V DC instead of AC.

Also, the solar panel will provide 80W pointing directly into full sunlight. You need to chose a panel sized for your sunshine hours. Are you planning to run this during Winter?

and regard battery : keep in mind that very good deep cycle lead acit batterys are constructed for max 80 % DOD / depth of discharge/ and for cca 300 cycles,

What this mean in simple words : if you will discharge youre battery on daily basis to 80 % , youre battery will have cca 1 year field life.

( discharge to 80 % : it still remains 20 % energy in battery - you cant suck 100 % od stored energy or you will kill battery in 10 cycles)

Best option for solar battery is sealed lead acid deep cycle with gelled electrolyte with vrla ( not vented or sealed agm) if you look for no maintnance solution. ............. one of good producers is Sonnenschein

http://www.ebax.si/privat-kamere/akumulator/moto-akumulator-gel-solar-baterije.pdf

If you go for GEL be carefull with charger and charging control : look for charger that has charging program for GEL ( current, voltage and cutt off frequency are different that regular vented deep cycle battery or sealed AGM deep cycle battery)

Wrong charger or wrong charging time will create bubless in gelled elektrolyte, and then battery will soon fail to give rated characteristic.

Thanks everyone for your replies. My ignorance in solar is very apparent.

My cameras are 24VAC and can not run on DC. So my original question on a 50W 12VDC to 24VAC converter is still posted. I know of a 40W converter but I can not find a higher rated unit.

This was my thinking:

The wireless system draws 1W so max system draw is 49W with 1W for inefficencies, giving 50W worse case, heater-on condition. Without heater, Max power is 25W.

50W at 12V gives 4.1A max current draw. The deep discharge batt has 140A/H with 80% of this being 112 available A/H. This means the batt alone can supply 26.9 (50W) to 53.7(25W) hours of camera working time.

80W solar panel can supply 4.6A/H in full sunshine so solar panel alone can supply enough power for worst case 50W.

My operating caveats are: System will be shut off at night. System will be installed in a part of the country that has >300 days of sunshine. System is a temporary and intermittent install to provide video coverage at an explosive test range. If I can get two weeks of "maintenance free" working time out of the system, I'd be happy.