Matt3357

Pelco CC4730-UTC question Re-poste

I know this is a double post, but I think it fits in this forum better than the other. Please feel free to delete the other post.

Hello, I am new to the forum and to cctv.

I picked up a couple of Pelco CC4730-UTC cameras for a couple bucks at a yard sale and have them in mind for a project. But before I can even begin to think about the project, I need to figure out how to power them.

There is only a coax and an "RCA" video out plug on the back.

From what little I can find on older Pelco cameras, this is an "Up-The-Coax" camera, which leads me to believe that the power is input to the camera through the coax.

The project I need this for would be locally powered via batteries. So all I need to know is how to power the camera.

Here is the back of the camera.

201679_1.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Matt

Hi there. I don't know the details of your cameras, but if they use DC power up the coax (I would hope so - AC power would be awkward), then you could try this circuit:

http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/Remote%20TV%20Camera.htm

I don't know what voltage you need. Try 15V first as per the circuit and see how you go. Hopefully it doesn't smoke the camera.

Good luck!

Horizon,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't really need to send the power through the video line. The plan is to use this with a wireless system so all I need to know is how to hook up power to the camera at the camera. By the way, it is a 28v, 3.5w camera. At this point, I am just seeing if this is possible to do. I have three of these cameras I gave 2 dollars for, so if I smoke them, I'm not worried. But I want to power them up before I buy a lens.

Matt

Hi again.

Your other option would be to open up the camera and try to feed the voltage regulator directly. There is probably an inductor between the BNC socket and the regulator, which you should remove.

It's a lot simpler to just use C1 and L1 from the circuit to feed directly into the BNC socket through a short length of coax. Just use 28 volts instead of 15. You might be able to use less voltage, but it depends on the regulator in the camera. L2, C2, and the LT3080 (or equivalent) are already built into your camera.

i've worked with a few panasonic cameras that used up-the-coax power... took them apart to try to figure out how the power tapped off internally... never could figure it out; never got one to work without its custom power "injector" unit.

I'm fairly certain the capacitor and inductor will work, but I've never had the opportunity to take apart one of these cameras. Panasonic did make some up-the-coax power supplies, like the WV-PS140C Camera Drive Unit. They probably used a more complex method to get a better quality image.