itsdavetime

Swann DVR internet viewing video quality

I have a Swann DVR (DVR-8CIF) and it works fine. When I view the cameras on a monitor which is connected to the DVR itself, the quality is fantastic. However, if I view the cameras over my local internet (on the same wired network), the quality isn't that great. The same goes for if I view the cameras from an office location.

I'm a computer expert, and all of my cabling within my house is rated for 1gb, all my terminations were tested by me and are all correct. All of my computers are wired (no wi-fi).

Why would the quality be so poor when viewing over the local network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Compression. I'm not familiar with your DVR but perhaps it has settings to increase the network transmission quality by altering video compression parameters.

I'm a computer expert, and all of my cabling within my house is rated for 1gb, all my terminations were tested by me and are all correct. All of my computers are wired (no wi-fi).

Swann DVR (DVR-8CIF) , the compression and the fact its cif, you need D1 and that's not totally amazingly brilliant, nothing to do with being swann brand, I have one , it does what is said it would do. people think you need massively high res from camera and dvr, well true to a point, but the ability for optical zoom function in a must .

basically what the system will record to storage is, will be sent via lan,

In the real world most criminals that go out thieving will have clocked the camera system and hence will be covered up. the main target is early detection of inturder and follow your action strategy when it happens.

what you see on the monitor is camera res which will be many times better than on the recording and lan viewed footage.

on the sawnn system increase network bandwidth parameter, that will be limited to the slowest connection, on the lan side not a prob but on a wan will be down to the upload link speed.

lol and the fact that you probably dont have your cameras set to D1, also when connecting to the dvr make sure you select LAN rather than internet. if you use the android/ios app it is using the mobile port which is also low res

I have a Swann DVR (DVR-8CIF) and it works fine. When I view the cameras on a monitor which is connected to the DVR itself, the quality is fantastic. However, if I view the cameras over my local internet (on the same wired network), the quality isn't that great. The same goes for if I view the cameras from an office location.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a few things that you could try:

1. Check the record menu on the DVR and ensure your cameras are set to record at D1 resolution. This will have a measurable and positive impact on both the recording picture quality and the network video feed.

2. When connecting to your DVR within the house, make sure to choose 'LAN' as the type. Choosing 'Internet' from the list will restrict the bandwidth of the session according to the value you have set under the network viewer application options (512kbps by default).

Good luck, and let us know if that helps.

The Swann Support Team.