Sign in to follow this  
gpierson

Question about extracting the "frames" from "FPS"

Greetings all. First time posting here. I've got 3 different DVR's running on the property where I work with a total of 10 different cameras. I'm in a medium traffic area in Chicago. So in the course of 5 years, I've been able to use the cameras for viewing some criminal events.

Anyhow, I just had an "event" in the parking lot this past week and decided to get a LPR camera. I've bought one and installed it. It was under $300, so not the greatest quality, but it is working and I'm able to identify a majority of the license plates on vehicles entering/exiting the parking lot. I'm running this particular camera on a QC444 DVR. I've got the latest firmware running on the DVR (also not top of the line piece of equipment, but it's working for me.)

A question for you all...how can one extract the individual frames from playback/footage recorded on a DVR? In other words, if a DVR is truly recording "30 frames per second", how do I see all 30 frames? Do I need special software for this?

Thanks for your help!

Gene.

every time you hit pause on playback, you're looking at an individual frame. a dvr that has "frame advance" will move one at at time. or playback your exported video in a player that allows you to do frame advance. most video editor software will do this.

Okay thanks. Actually I knew I had that feature and never really played around with it until just now. And you're right, I can go frame by frame. (I counted between a full second and didn't quite get 30 frames, it seemed more like 25 frames.)

Anyhow, what kind of software is needed to extract the individual frames that a forensics analyst might use? Would it give the same results as just doing a "capture picture" feature and exporting it? And is the software out of the average layperson/hobbyist's grasp (and budget)?

Other note, I'm somewhat familiar with Photoshop where you can layer/stack images upon other images. Do you think I could use something as crude as Photoshop to layer images to get a sharper image?

Thanks again,

Gene.