Sign in to follow this  
POSGuy

POS Overlay with any network printer

Hi All,

I am really a pos guy and try to slip cctv in whenever I can.

I see there have been a few questions about the POS overlay that I may be able to help with. I also have some questions too.

First off, if you want to overlay pos data, Aver can recieve via com ports or tcp/ip as well as udp.

Note, I have never been able to get the tcp/ip or udp to work, HOWEVER, using VSPE (virtual serial port emulator), you can receive POS data via tcp/ip and use a com port for this.

VSPE is available at eterlogic.com for free(32bit) or $25 for 64bit.

You create a virtual com port, you also create a tcp/ip server and attach it to the com port you just created and tell aver to look for the info on the virtual com port.

So for example, create a network printer on the pos, network printers print to port 9100. Create a virtual com port and a tcp/ip server listening on port 9100 on the dvr using vspe. Tell aver to listen to the virtual com port, thats it.

Feel free to ask any questions.

One of the reasons I chose to use the Aver Nano DVR was its POS integration, but I find it does not work very well with my setup.

I install Windows based POS systems with the Epson TM-T88x Thermal Receipt Printer (RS232, some Parallel). Using the Aver Data Capture box in between the receipt printer & PC, I can capture receipt text, but not all of it. A lot of text gets missed - could be at the beginning, middle or end. And, if the register is busy, text sent to the DVR tends to get backed up and out of sync with the video.

I tried many troubleshooting steps (changing baud rates, using different drivers, changing settings in the DVR) to no avail. Utilized my distributor as well as Aver support.

Capturing receipt text works perfectly with the Dedicated Micros DVRs I have installed, but those systems are so expensive.

So, what I started doing was capturing the actual video from the PC and recording it on the DVR. My clients love it. Viewing live (or playback) they can see exactly which buttons are being pressed in the POS software, along with the itemized listing of product being purchased. I also have a camera on the counter so they can physically see what the customer is purchasing. They can also see when price overrides or item corrections are done. Heck, if someone decides to open Internet Explorer or play solitare they can see that too. It all gets recorded.

I still see the value in capturing receipt text and would actually like to have both. But, sadly, I just couldn't get the text capture to work properly with the Aver solution. I did hook up a few AVE VSI boxes - they work great, but on the expensive side.

"So, what I started doing was capturing the actual video from the PC and recording it on the DVR."

Could you elaborate on how you did this, sounds very interesting.

Thanks

Need a second video output from the PC & clone the display. Or, use a powered VGA splitter. From there use a vga to rca converter, run your cabling and connect to a channel on the dvr.

It may not be be 100% sharp, there may be a little blur. But, it's very, very acceptable @ D1. Lower resolutions might look crappy, but still legible. I've had no complaints w/ around 35 installations & multiple referrals. My clients love being able to see what employees are doing on the POS computer as it's occurring.