philb14

conduit question for outdoor wiring (stucco home/las vegas)

Hello, I recently purchased 500 ft of RG59 Siamese Cable (wire details at end of message) and will be running cable outside my home along the stucco walls and under some eaves. This will be a 4 camera system, with 1 camera inside the garage.

No cable will exceed 200 ft in length.

For running under eaves is running conduit necessary? I was hoping I could just run conduit in areas where the wire was fully exposed.

If conduit is not necessary I was planning on using T25 staples unless you suggest otherwise?

If the BNC and power connection is made on the outside wall, I was planning on running a weather proof gang box to protect the connection and run flexible conduit to the camera from the gang box. My question is which type of flexible conduit is recommended? I have being searching this forum and want to confirm if Liquid Tight NM Conduit is the way to go.

Thank you for all your help.

Here are the details of the cable:

Video: RG59B/U solid center conductor, 95% braiding coverage

Power: 18/2 stranded power wires for better conductivity

Foam polyethylene dielectric. Jacket: PVC

Operating temperature of -40 to +80 degree C allows use in a wide range of applications

Heavy duty cable with improved quality for video

Sequential feet marking every two feet

Reel in a Pull-Out Box for easy installation

HD ready

Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIAMESE-CABLE-500FT-RG59-95-VIDEO-POWER-WIRE-RG59-U-CCTV-SECURITY-CAMERA-BULK-/300784581972?

if you are running along the edge of the building and don't want to use conduit, hide the cable inside the eaves and let it reappear in a place to suit you where it can descend to a camera or a conduit. also you can just lay the cable in the eaves, no fixing necessary unless you live in a house with a pent roof. T25 staple are okay for RG59 even if a bit wide for it, but what about your power cable? If it's your own home PVC conduit is by far the tidiest way to go especially if your AC / DC power are a separate cable.

A good indication that your RG59 is suitable for outdoors is if the center core is solid rather than stranded but of course I would check the specification, When you run your cables through conduit, run a strong pull string in case you ever need to pull in another cable.

You are right to enclose connections in a junction box (IP55 rated or higher) and smear all connections with Petroleum jelly or silicone grease. You can use corrugated flexible conduit from the JB to the camera housing or bracket. It's usualy 20mm not sure what size in the US. You don'r need armored flexible metal conduit for home use.

In general I try where possible to hide the cable inside the fabric of property and enclose exposed cables on the outside. Here is a picture of a camera on my front corner peeking around the corner watching my cars ans van. It has flexible conduit and an IP 66 JB just like you described.

203297_1.jpg203297_2.jpg203297_1.1

Thank you very much for the help, the photo and your explanation really helps a lot.

Also could you direct me to the camera housing you are using?

Thank you!

Yes certainly, the housing is made by Genie, I forget the model number but it's got a 12/24 volt heater inside. I always put on a latex glove and rub a moth ball all over the housing to deter spiders and flying insects it lasts a good 6 months. The housing is great, it's neevr needed any attention from new and it's been up there awhile now.

You seem to have it all worked out so just hide cable where you can inside and when it comes outside hide it in conduit.

If you have to join conduit (PVC) I use PVC wel adhesive which seal it against water but be sure before you do use it and NEVER use it when the cable is in the conduit or you could weld the cable to the inside of the conduit. Not great for maintenance.

I am sorry to be such a bother, just had a question regarding running the cable inside.

If I cannot hide the Siamese Cable behind a floor board or in dry wall, would something like this suffice running along the top of the floor board?

Basically some sort of wire channel.

203352_1.jpg