jumeda33

Camera System for my house

Hello everybody. I am brand new to this forum so I hope I am in the right part of it. I have been doing some research on cameras and a dvr system for my house. I would like 8 cameras at 600TVL. I would like a dvr that has buttons on the front so it is not just useable from the remote. I would like the cameras to be able to hang from the eves OR attach to the wall. I have been looking at a system by Defender. The I saw Night Owl and Q-see. Anyway, I think you guys can see why I am so confused as to what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would be willing to spend about 500-600 for a system.

Thanks,

David

Hello David, Buttons on the front eh? In my experience in the frost 6 - 10 weeks you won't stop playing with the DVR, but after that you;ll start to ignore the DVR and CCTV system and let it get on and do it's job. Personally I prefer to operate the DVR from a wireless mouse these days. The buttons on the front mean pushing at the DVR and often moving it when it's recording. A thing you really don't want to do. But if you eally are determined to have buttons and feel that is what is right for you, you can always take measures to ensure the DVR doesn't move when pressing buttons. it won't be difficult.

Under the eves, the ideal type of camera styles are the Eyeball dome with IR and VF lens. These are usually available in white to match the eves paintwork. I like them to contrast so I use black cameras against white paintwork, because they are easier spotted by potential ne'er-do-wells and criminals. These are very versatile cameras indeed. Of couse, if fixing to the wall you can also use the eyeball domes but their cousins the bullet cameras but the yeball domes are also very easy to fix to walls but require a place to hide the cable connections and a Junction Box looks better next to a bullet camera and not next to a eyeball dome.

If your cameras are to be 600TVL then you will need to use cat5 cable and baluns (passive for upto 300m, active upto 1500m)

Remember if outside to use external cat5 or it won't last more than about 12 months before problems arise. You can buy cut lengths on ebay quite cheaply. Okay thats my two pennies worth hope you enjoy well your project and it goes smoothly, You started out the right way planning is the key to a good system and installation.

Thanks for that input. I really appreciate it. Does anyone out there have any opinions of the Defender Security systems?

I got mine from Ebay for under 200. It has 8 cameras, the DVR (hard drive not included) and all the cables for isntallation. I am happy with it, although I am still learning how to use it properly. The image quality is fairly good, and the interface is simple to use. It has no buttons on the front, but it has a mouse instead and a remote. You can plug a network cable into it to your router, and enter some numbers to allow remote acess via your PC or smartphone as well. I havent gotten this far into learning it, but this is my next learning venture this weekend.

All I had to buy was a 19" monitor I found on craigslist for a few bucks, and a 1.5TB hard drive from a computer store for about $70.

We use it for watching our house and alleyway, and it covers the front street and neighbors rear driveways.

Guys, you get no more than you pay for generally and the CCTV market is flooded with crap that unless you have had better you'd never know the difference. If you are satisfied with it then thats all that counts INIT?