antonov

Long Range System Problems -

Hi all,

I'm trying to design a new system to cover my house (2-4 cameras), a detached garage (1 camera), and an apartment on an adjacent lot (2 cameras). The problem I can't get past is how to run the cameras to the detached garage and the adjacent lot. The garage is roughly 50-75 yards from the house, and the apartment is roughly 200-250 yards away (through a grove of trees) from the house.

It would be a pain to run cable from the house to the apartment but would be very simple to run the cable from the apartment itself out to it's own cameras. But how would I get the signal to the house? Or is it better just to try to design the "house system" - which would include the house and the garage and design an independent system for the apartment? (which doesn't have internet)

DISCLAIMER: Sorry I'm like a lot of the newbies around here. I'm very knowledgeable about construction but have a very limited knowledge about technology. [i've already designed/started work on some very slick, discrete inclosures for the cameras - but I can't figure out what cameras/system to buy!]

You can do it a few ways. If you are putting a DVR in each spot, just use the network port to a wireless bridge. Otherwise, you need a wireless receiver/ transmitter for each camera to get the signals back to wherever the DVR is going to be.

If you're going to use an analog system with DVRs then it's easiest to just use two separate recorders and be done with it.

If you're using IP cameras with an NVR then you have a couple more options because you can easily (but not cheaply) stream them back using point to point wireless Ethernet.

And please post pictures of those custom housings, I'm sure everyone here would love to see what you've created!

Id opt for the transmitter/ receiver..... 1 receiver on the house.. 1 transmitter on the garage and 2 more transmitters on the apartment. Then from the receiver to the DVR id use Cat5. You'l get the 3 cameras down 1 length of it and have enough for power aswel.