Sign in to follow this  
mobiledynamics

Picture Quality Difference on Indoor Camera looking out

If it's a camera made exclusively for indoors, then you may burn out the sensor as there may not be UV protection. I've burned out an Axis indoor camera looking out a window in about 1 1/2 years. But during that time, the image quality was awesome.

None, you can use outdoor cameras indoors, but using outdoor cameras outdoors has multiple problems. Just don't get one with IR LEDs built in to look out a window because it will reflect back and you'll see the inside of your home instead of the outside.

Ideally an outdoor camera mounted outdoors is best but if you live in a condo or a place where that's not possible, then find a camera with really good low light capability without having to use illuminators and point it out window.

I run my entire camera solution this way; Axis cameras (all M10 series pointing outside) - and using Blue Iris.

I've been running like this for close to 2 years and have not burnt any image sensor yet.

I picked up a new M1014 last month (1MP/720 with 2.8mm which covers ~ 80 degrees), and it's great!

The entire solution though falls short at night. I do my best to compensate all the cameras imaging for low light (setting up events with schedules on the cams themselves for white balance, etc). My property is well light on the exterior, so that helps. The entire solution works pretty good, but a far cry from having a true outdoor IR cam. You do also get window reflection glare from interior lights (at night), so keep your blinds closed!

I've been closely watching the Dahua bullet cams too; Great picture, awesome price. But I fear that they'll stop functioning in a Canadian winter, hence the reason I haven't purchased any yet.

My Axis M10 that I had looking out a window wouldn't work in a So Cal winter, haha. When the temps dipped down to 20F, the camera stopped working. The proximity to the cold of the window was enough.

My Axis M10 that I had looking out a window wouldn't work in a So Cal winter, haha. When the temps dipped down to 20F, the camera stopped working. The proximity to the cold of the window was enough.

Not an issue for Canadians!

Windows are either dual or triple pane, filled with Argon gas.

OT on the windows...

I am currently working on a build with a order of windows running 700K.

The manuf. doesn't actually promoto the gas, as he advises it breaks the seals over time.They have a special *sealing* material .....but no gas..

So are ours, doubled paned, we keep the place at around 58F during the winter. We get about 4' of snow every year and overnight temps dip into the teens so certainly not the Yukon Territory but cold by So Cal standards and cold enough to make that M10 freeze.

I spoke to Axis. They advised me, any sensor will burned if not aimed correctly. Whether or not it is having sun pointed *into* it versus the camera being angled down.

The primary differences on the exterior was housing, theft protection, cooling / heating (thus making the housing a bit larger as well). These were the primary differences.

If it's a camera made exclusively for indoors, then you may burn out the sensor as there may not be UV protection. I've burned out an Axis indoor camera looking out a window in about 1 1/2 years. But during that time, the image quality was awesome.

I spoke to Axis. They advised me, any sensor will burned if not aimed correctly. Whether or not it is having sun pointed *into* it versus the camera being angled down.

The primary differences on the exterior was housing, theft protection, cooling / heating (thus making the housing a bit larger as well). These were the primary differences.

Yes.

All of my cams are pointed downwards. like I said, so far to date, no burn.