coolwifiguy21

PoE IP cameras?

I'm looking to install some IP security cameras throughout our property. I'm going to power these via PoE. Problem is some cameras will probably end up being further than 300ft from our DVR, which I read is where PoE drops off at. Is there any way for me to run the PoE further? Anyone have some experience with this?

It's not just POE dropping off, it is IP packets in general. You need to keep all your runs under 300 feet. If you are going longer the easiest way to to have a central second connection point with a second switch.

Have a good location about 300 feet from the DVR to set a second switch and then connect cameras another 300 feet out. There are other solutions, but that is the simplest and cheapest. In some cases I have extra switches 100-150 feet out, but then I'm able to get cameras that I'd otherwise not be able to. Then I also only have one cable running all the way back to the main DVR which can save hassle at times.

Also, my camera takes lower voltage than what the 48v switch provides. Any products that can act as a repeater and knock the voltage down? I don't have the ability to install a switch, without it looking very unprofessional.

Also, my camera takes lower voltage than what the 48v switch provides. Any products that can act as a repeater and knock the voltage down? I don't have the ability to install a switch, without it looking very unprofessional.
What cameras are you using? often, cameras will have a 12 or 24 volt input, but still use standard 802.3af 48 volt power. If you really need lower voltage at the camera, there are a number of splitters that peel off a regulated lower voltage from standard PoE, and pass the Ethernet signal through, you could use these at the camera in combination with extenders/repeaters.

I'm going to be using ACTi ACM-4001 PoE 12vDC. I'm not sure if that means the PoE is 12v as well or if it just runs off the standard 802.3af 48v? Newbie here
That camera can use either 12v on the input terminals, or standard 802.3af PoE power. So, you could use the repeaters as I described, without needing to step the voltage back down at the camera.