Sign in to follow this  
larrymilla

NVR Server On Windows 7

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has experienced this before?

I have used two different NVR softwares on windows 7 with the same challenge. After I connect all the 12 ip cameras, the system will indicate 100% CPU usage and things will begin to drag. The images from the cameras will begin to slag especially once I connect the System to the 32inch Screen.

At first, I was thinking that the brandless CMS software that was bundled with the 2.0mp ip cams was the problem but now, I am using NVR+ and I still have the same problem. I have even tried the NVR Softwares on Win Xp but its still the same challenge.

I am using Dell Optiplex 320; 3ghz Dual core, 3gb memory & ATI Radeon Video Card with 512mb in the PCIE slot.

Yeah, that Optiplex 320 is a bit of a dinosaur. I haven't been able to run many MP cams with software NVRs on PCs that age. A 2nd or 3rd gen i5 is definitely the place to start.

I had good luck running a P4 3.0GHz with an Aver NV5000 card, with about 5MP of IP cams and a few analog cams, and my i3-540 runs an Aver NV6240-16 with 25MP of IP cams with no problems. The same hardware running Blue Iris maxes out at about 6-8MP.

The Aver cards require a lot less CPU than software-only NVRs, for whatever reason. The main thing that increases CPU is showing more on-screen cams; it'll record 16 cams without breaking a sweat, but displaying all 16 at once takes it to about 80% cpu vs maybe 5% for a single display.

I run 8 IP cams on old hardware all the time now with no issues, but I use Exacq. It puts everything motion wise on the camera side so the load is lower on the CPU. I have 8 cams with 7 being 1 mp and 1 being 4mp running on a pentium e5500. Thats dual 2.8, with 2gb of ram though some of my systems only have 1gb. No issues with exacq. Maybe try the trial and see if it works with your cams?

With 5 IP cams and the client open showing all 5 at once it idles at 44% CPU. I normally have this not run the client so they idle at like 6% or so, then I view on the client connecting over the network on my laptop. I'm also seeing the CPU numbers as I'm logged in via VNC, so that will be a small part of the overhead I'm sure.

ExacqVision is very efficient, but has a very limited set of cameras that work with it. You can download ExacqVision for free for I believe 30 days and try it. Exacq Start is their low cost version.

As for 25 MP cameras, depends on the frame rate and the software you get. ExacqVision Start is limited to 16 camera, after that you go to their higher end version and it's quite pricy, like $200/camera + annual maintenance fee.