Sign in to follow this  
don_b

Q-SEE IP Camera running hot on Power over Ethernet (PoE)

Hi,

I just installed a Q-SEE IP camera in one of the bedroom

the cable from the camera location to the NVR is around ~100ft.

after i plugged in the CAT 5e. cable, i had stapled it using cable stapler to the drywall.

Now, when i turn on the NVR and let the camera run for a 10-15 mins, the camera body become very hot and I can't see any image.

Is this normal for long run of cables? Should I check the Cat5 cable?

when i take the cable out and let it cool down and plug it back in using like a 20ft cable, I get normal picture back again.

On the same cable, I could use a laptop to connect to the internet (when I connected the other end of the cable directly into a rj45 port on my home router).

If it never overheats with the 20' cable, and the 100' cable works fine for normal network use, it sounds like there's enough voltage drop across 100' of cat 5e that your camera's POE conversion circuit is having trouble.

You could test this with a 100' cat 6 cable, which has slightly larger gauge wires than cat 5e. If it works with cat 6, it's likely a voltage drop issue. If not, it's back to the drawing board!

This is all assuming the cable wasn't damaged when it was stapled, of course. That could be tested with a second 100' cat 5e cable.