Sign in to follow this  
kolson88

GeoVision vs. AXIS Cameras

Hello CCTV

I was wondering what everybody thinks of each company, GeoVision and AXIS.

Basically, the company I work for uses AXIS cameras, and I have switched them over to GeoVision software from AverDigi & unknown 3rd party software named DVR2400. Using AXIS cameras with GeoVision software, you need to purchase the NVR license. My boss purchases AXIS cameras because he knows a rep from CDW; they don't sell GeoVision products. However, if you purchase GeoVision cameras, it is my understanding that you don't need to purchase the NVR license and you have unlimited IP camera channels.

Assuming that last statement is correct, what do you guys think of GeoVision IP cameras? I like the http interface for AXIS cameras; they are very easy to set up with very few problems. Is the GeoVision http interface similar to AXIS? Roughly the same? Positives/Negatives of each? Similar physical installation?

If I get positive feedback, my next step would be to find out how much my boss is paying for the AXIS products, because I've never seen an invoice. If I can save the company money in the long term by purchasing GeoVision cameras without the NVR, that would be a huge plus.

Thank you for your time!!

I personally hate Geovision stuff, their software annoys me to no end and the image quality is pretty good, but not anything spectacular. I would use Axis stuff every single time if those were my only two choices. I am also betting you can get cheaper prices thru a different distributor too.

Basically, the company I work for uses AXIS cameras, and I have switched them over to GeoVision software ...

and you still have a job????

...if you purchase GeoVision cameras, it is my understanding that you don't need to purchase the NVR license and you have unlimited IP camera channels.

that is true. it also means you're stuck with the geovision software, as i'm not aware of any other nvrs that support them (and gv probably prefers it that way). axis cameras, on the other hand, are supported by nearly every other vms in existence.

go with axis, and your successor will thank you when he wants to upgrade the company to a *real* vms.

Well I've had close to no problems with GeoVision, so I figure why not?

What software and/or companies would you suggest I use?

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it

I started out with AXIS Camera Station for IP cameras, but they got rid of the remote view...

GeoVision PCI-E Capture Cards are fine for analog systems.

Including some analog and IP camera software, what company would you suggest I purchase from?

I have installed and programmed both GeoVision and Axis. I love the Geovision Product better. The Geovision remote software is great. The price is better and they’re very dependable. The Geovision Fisheye is incredible! You can inaugurate Geovision Access control into the system also. Geovision's new NVR lite V2 is much better than V1. You can hook up 12 IP cameras to it and it works great. You can attach it to the back of your computer monitor and never see it. I'm actually getting ready to install 3 jobs this week with the NVR Lite. I have nothing bad to say about Axis. I just like Geovision better. " title="Applause" />