Oldjoe

Camera set up advice

Hi, I have just replaced a vista VVRD-540 dome camera with a panasonic WV-CW484 but though the image is generally brighter it is producing poor identification images. One important point is that a sodium lamp sits just below & behind the camera (6" to side & 6" below). Now this wasn't a problem with the old camera, but now seems to be one of the issues. Here are a couple of night time pictures to show what I mean.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Wealdhere/panasonic484.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Wealdhere/vistavvrd-540.jpg

The panasonic is the superior camera but at the moment I am considering switching back.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

What happens to image quality if you center the camera on someone walking past instead of above and beyond them? Might be a problem with the Panasonic prioritizing exposure on the exact center of the image?

Hi Kawboy12R - Thanks for the response. During daylight the image is good at close range so I'm happy with the focus.

After a bit more thought I think the answer is in my question - that is the intensity of the light that is causing the problem, giving refelection to a more sensitive camera. It is not possible to resite the light so the solution I've come up with is to add additional lighting (as this is a sensitive area at the edge of the property) and allow the camera to remain in colour mode. This should do the trick. Until I get around to installing the new light I think colour mode with the single lamp will be satisfactory.

The other good news is that the 'bad guys' from the old camera views have now been detained.